Landrover series engine

retriever

My son in law and daughter have a series 3 24v ffr with a cracked block. 2 years ago we ground out a groove in the waterway behind the starter and filled it with liquid metal and all was well until now it is leaking again. I have a early series 2 engine is the block interchangeable if I was to strip both engines and build one from the two. I know all ancillary equipment will have to be from the series 3. if is not possible then anyone need a series 2 engine and gearbox.

My son in law and daughter have a series 3 24v ffr with a cracked block. 2 years ago we ground out a groove in the waterway behind the starter and filled it with liquid metal and all was well until now it is leaking again. I have a early series 2 engine is the block interchangeable if I was to strip both engines and build one from the two. I know all ancillary equipment will have to be from the series 3. if is not possible then anyone need a series 2 engine and gearbox.

---

Do you not mean Series 2A rather than Series 2 ? that simplifies things lots.

608327 is Petrol and Diesel block for S2A , a S2 Petrol and Diesel block is different (and different to each other IIRC) to the 2.1/4 Petrol and diesel block THREE MAIN BEARING) A late S3 block from approx. early 1980's is a different 5 main bearing block.

-----

608327 - there are supercessions , 596104 , 541891 , there will be different cast & foundry ID markings. The engine Serial No. will give a clue to age - you may be lucky to have a matching No. or near match.

You need to use the match marked main bearing caps c/with the block being used.

---

608327 is Petrol and Diesel block for S2A , a S2 Petrol and Diesel block is different (and different to each other IIRC) to the 2.1/4 Petrol and diesel block THREE MAIN BEARING) A late S3 block from approx. early 1980's is a different 5 main bearing block.

-----

608327 - there are supercessions , 596104 , 541891 , there will be different cast & foundry ID markings. The engine Serial No. will give a clue to age - you may be lucky to have a matching No. or near match.

I did mean series 2 not 2a I think it came out of rover 80 car and put into series 2 as a replacement,

The Rover 80 car engine will be more or less same as S2 petrol , there are lots of differences to the S2A inc. almost certain the block assembly will be different in detail but the raw machined block casting 2286 cc as used in the Roverr 80 car is the same. In the 1970's a friend obtained a Landi Hartog propane gassed 2.1/4 from a fork truck , he first fitted it in his Rover 80 car and then later in a S3 Land Rover - ISTR him telling me they were the self & same engine , however I can't recall if the head CR was 8:1 or 7:1.

1957/58 , they took the 2 litre diesel block and designed the new 2.1/4 petrol block engine around it - so there is commonality here , however no commonality between this block and earlier 2 litre petrol block.

Best to just get a complete S3 engine - plenty around at scrap price , something with a pre-fix like 951 (Lightweight) , 902 (civvy) , the earliest 2286cc Petrol blocks were the 2 litre first diesel , however the diesel was sleeved - the petrol piston rings ran in the bored CI. Both blocks were known to be weak - so they were strengthened improved for the start of S2A.

---

-----

head casting no 279502

block casting no 276678

engine no 645100591

head casting no 279502

block casting no 276678

engine no 645100591

==============

engine no 645100591 , prefix 645 means nothing to me - but as you say , off Rover 80 car

head casting no 279502 = a Land Rover part no too , as fitted to Series 2 , the earliest S2A head is = Part No. 566703 however this could be based on a 279502 casting

This head will be a deep head casting at the front near the thermostat housing - to use this head - you would have to check - there could be a clash with a FFR timing case cover

block casting no 276678 , a S2 petrol block assembly Part No = 276908 , the earliest S2A block assembly = 541891

--------------

I would have to get a look at the oldest S2A block I have to check the casting No. I doubt if it will be a 276678 casting.

If ever there was a change of casting design , change in foundry , or machining difference - then there would be casting + Land Rover Part No. suppercession changes , this was done for QC for traceability in case of problems.

AFAIK - regardless of changes , all petrol 3mb 2286cc blocks are interchangeable.

-------------------------

If you did use this block with all S3 FFR anciliaries , the main thing to watch for is a newer 3mb cylinder head (if used) could be a "metricated" head - therefore you would have to double-check the oil feed pipe banjo-bolt threads , seal washers etc.

Hi, I have an engine block in good condition, 3 bearing, cam shaft in it, stripped bare, bores greased up, £100 Sheffield area, Nigel.