To all the Royal Enfield WD/CO owners (and everybody else as well...)

rewdco

Hi chaps,

I guess you all know the table with the contract numbers, frame numbers, census numbers, … for the Royal Enfield WD/CO models. This list is on the internet on this website: http://aachen.heimat.de/leute/nico/british/wd-co.htm . It is also in the Orchard and Madden book “British Forces Motorcycles”.

However, due to the strange numbering system used by Royal Enfield, it looks as if there are some “anachronisms” in this list. For instance, the second contract (frame numbers 6001 - 11000) wasn’t made between the first (frame numbers 1001 - 6000) and the third contract (frame numbers 11001 - 14000), but was made at the end of the war, hence the type 2 frame where the first and third contract bikes have a type 1 frame…

It looks as if nobody really knows exactly in which order and to which specification the WD/CO’s were made. The dates in these lists are very confusing. O&M talk about a demand date, a contract date, a delivery date, a parts list date, and to add to the confusion, not all of these dates have been filled in… In the internet article, there is only one date, which does not always coorespond with the O&M dates...

In order to fill in these gaps, I started a “register” for the WD/CO. With pictures and details of the surviving motorcycles, I hope to find out more about the production of these motorcycles throughout the war. But here I need your help: If you do have a complete WD/CO, or just a frame or an engine, would you be so kind to send me the following informations:

- a picture of the actual motorcycle

- frame number, engine number

- a picture and / or details of other numbers or markings which may have been stamped on the engine

- the factory dispatch date which you can find on the dating certificate from the Royal Enfield Owners Club (for those who have this certificate)

You can mail this information to:

wd.register@gmail.com

Thanks in anticipation for your much appreciated help!

REgards,

Jan

Edited by rewdco
changed email address