Name painting on Brit vehicles WW2

Rick W

Now my curiosity was aroused when I saw this pic posted on Ashleys thread on motorbike markings.

width=544 height=799http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/rik242_2006/scan0001-1.jpg[/img]

Firstly because it showed an early Morris 8cwt FFW \pre Dunkirk, and secondly because it has "Explorer" painted on the side. Now Im assuming this wasnt the name of the recce company it was attached to. It strikes me as the vehicles nickname that is painted on the side, but I wouldnt have thought this was the practice in the British Army, (unlike the Americans who painted dancing girls etc on the vehicles!). Can someone explain to me what the "Explorer" nametag refers to and are there any examples of Brit vehicles having a nametag painted on them? :?

Rick;

I've seen/got a photo of an MW attached to 11th armoured div, pictured outside antwerp, which has a womans name painted on drivers door, (it almost looks like its stenciled,....being so neat.)

Can't find it at the mo, tho..............(typically. :whistle:)

In D day to Berlin, theres a pic of a Matador, with the name 'Stella', painted above drivers position, also in same book, an Austin, (I think) with the name 'Mary' above windscreen.

I've not seen any pics of brit stuff using any 'fancy', script,..........just 'normal' lettering.

Must admit to thinking about doing something similar, on mine;.......incorperating Calvados,...given my liking for the stuff,............but haven't yet...... :dunno:

Ahh Calvados, try marinating a pork joint in it. Certain RAMC ambulances were officially named after VC holders from the Corp. There is also the classic 'SNAFU' Land Rover from the first gulf. As far as I know all naming of vehicles was unofficial although some of the Tank regiment had names on theirs.

Owner of Dodge 51 Ruby Baby (named after my Mother)

and 101 Ambulance Elusive Lady (And I know who she is) :-D

Calvados! Do you get hairy palms!

:-)not noticed, ;-) although it does give me an ability to talk complete and utter.................... :whistle:

Yup, Tony,......marinading meat in the stuff,.............MMMMMMm YUM, yum...

another effect is that it removes tea staining in me enamel mug, extremely well................ :-) :-)

In Normandy if you own house and certain amount of land plus apple tress, you can makeyour own. There are even people with licences for mobile stills who go round and distill it for you. Not really a good idea to have some of the stuff touch metal though. For the experimental amonst us, get cider put in freezer. When slushy filter out ice and keep re freezing till it won't any longer. No nacked flames though. :beer:

Looking out the window this morning, if I can see anything for the rain, It'll be the Beltring Boat show. :captain:

After a quick look through the excellent British Military Markings by Peter Hodges it reveals, we probably are aware, numerous tanks with names on. Also there are, of the ones I can make out with my with my suspect eyesight

Matador "Gazala"

Scammell "Connaught"

Austin K2 Ambulance "Pat"

There are some others I can't make out, it seems that it may be more common than expected

Tony B said.

Looking out the window this morning, if I can see anything for the rain, It'll be the Beltring Boat show.

Going to a music festival this weekend, looks like a mini Glasto on the way :help:

I am quite certain that naming tanks did happen.

From memory, the Airfix Sherman came with a transfer "CHARGER" to stick on the front of the sponson side plates. It seems likely to me that Airfix lifted the name Charger from an actual tank and I'd but a pound to a pinch that a name like that came from a tank in a cavalry regiment.

That said, I also seem to recall it came with A Squadron triangle markings. I am sure that vehicle names would start with the letter indicating the squadron, so that Charger ought to have come with C Squadron circles instead of A Squadron triangles.

During the 1970s, I saw only one vehicle with a name painted on it, that of the recently late C. E. Garforth VC, 15th Hussars, on the A Squadron 15/19H Saracen ACV.

Apparently after I left and 15/19H reverted to tanks, they named their tanks during the 1990s, names beginning with the squadron letter.

Not much help, I guess.