K9 hill start issues

Kloud Nine

Hi folks,

My K9 will run uphill in tickover, towing a trailer but if I have to stop, at lights etc it won't pull away again without juddering. It's real bad, I'm worried that a prop shaft or worse it going to break.

I'm thinking I need to get the clutch relined, what do you guys think? Is there something needs adjustment etc or am I right?

Cheers,

C.

Mine used to do that. I described it to lots of people but didn't truly get to the bottom of it. Best I described it was its as if you are setting of in to high a gear and the hole cab shakes /judders. I got told gearbox issue but moved vehicle on before I found out.

Brakes are nice and free, propshafts is a possibility. She'll pull away in 1st oh-kay so long as I'm easy on the throttle, anything much over tickover and she'll jump and bang like crazy. Definately propshaft sound....

Pulling away in 2nd on the flat is ok. 1st uphill is horrible...

C.

Edited by Kloud Nine

Brakes are nice and free, propshafts is a possibility. She'll pull away in 1st oh-kay so long as I'm easy on the throttle, anything much over tickover and she'll jump and bang like crazy. Definately propshaft sound....

Pulling away in 2nd on the flat is ok. 1st uphill is horrible...

C.

My money is on the clutch. You'll have to bite the bullet, drop the gearbox and take the clutch out for inspection. There are a number of possibilities. Could be oil contamination on the clutch linings from rear crank seal, or less likley from gearbox. Could be burnt flywheel and/or clutch pressure plate from excessive clutch slip in a previous life, look for blueing or crazing on the surfaces, or could be the pressure plate is out of adjustment.

It won't be any consultation, but we've got two K9s and they both have clutch judder which is always worse when reversing. We've just got used to using low revs or revving the engine, and letting the clutch out as you come off the throttle and the drive takes up as the revs die down (takes a bit of practise but saves the shudder) No doubt we'll do the clutch at some point - more expense!