Driving a Saviem SM8 4x4 on the road

SaviemSM8

Question

Hello folks. Should be driving the SM8 back from south wales this Tuesday all being well. Was wondering if any o you guys can heads me up on any 'gotchas' with this truck. Ive a manual but its all in french and most of the text Id like to read is in picture form so you cant easily paste into a translator. The main concern is that the centre and axles diff locks are disengaged. Other than that the plan is to give it the once over, lube it up and hit the road:drive:

Heres a link to the manual I have http://xtrmexport.com/camion_4x4_saviem_trm_4000/saviem_4x4_sm8_trm_4000_guide_de_conduite.pdf

5 answers to this question

Hi

A lot of it is quite similar to the Simca SUMB I used to drive - the main difference is switch rather than lever control of the transfer box and diff lock. I never did French at school so am not really an expert but I had to learn a bit of automotive vocabulary to use and repair the SUMB. The sections relevant to the transfer box are b6 and b7. I believe the switches PV/DV are Low/High ratio and 4WD is automatically engaged in low ratio. DF/AR is the diff lock control. The PV lamp lights in 4WD low ratio and the light under the switches lights if the diff lock is engaged.

The blackout lighting control is different from the SUMB I think - the right hand settings are for on road driving - you likely have to pull out or press button A and turn fully clockwise to position 5 to get normal road driving light functions (so important to check that before driving off)

Hope this helps

Iain

Edited by g0ozs
Add lights

Hi

A lot of it is quite similar to the Simca SUMB I used to drive - the main difference is switch rather than lever control of the transfer box and diff lock. I never did French at school so am not really an expert but I had to learn a bit of automotive vocabulary to use and repair the SUMB. The sections relevant to the transfer box are b6 and b7. I believe the switches PV/DV are Low/High ratio and 4WD is automatically engaged in low ratio. DF/AR is the diff lock control. The PV lamp lights in 4WD low ratio and the light under the switches lights if the diff lock is engaged.

The blackout lighting control is different from the SUMB I think - the right hand settings are for on road driving - you likely have to pull out or press button A and turn fully clockwise to position 5 to get normal road driving light functions (so important to check that before driving off)

Hope this helps

Iain

Thats great info Iain! Especially for the transfer box :). Not sure where the blackout switch is but i think i get the idea of its function. Hopefully ill arrive to working lamps ;)

Thanks again :thumbsup:

If you haven't already you might consider taking out breakdown/recovery insurance? I registered with Autohome before collecting the RB44 and driving it back home. It didn't miss a beat, of course!

Andy

Lol, aint it always the way :-D