GMC CCKW oils..

paul connor

Hello Everyone,

I wondered if you could all help me with a question? I know it is easier on here to ask, as unfortunately the CCKW forum seems so slow and inactive( No idea why that is).

Can somebody shed some light on the conversion of oils, as the original manuals state acronyms and prefixes that I cannot decipher!

So what oils do the following take, I have a fair idea but it's good to know the modern equivalents.

1. Engine

2. Gearbox

3. Transfer box

4. Steering box

5. Steering swivels

6. Axles.

There may be more, please add if you own one and know something I have missed!

I just would like to change all the oils as part of the winter service for the old war horse!

Many thanks

Paul

I changed everything on mine as follows:

Engine: a decent mineral based multigrade 10/30 or 10/40

Gearbox, transfer box and axles: EP 90

Steering box & swivel hub: Land Rover hub grease which is a specifically made and introduced years ago for all Land Rovers with old style hubs, its thicker than normal EP90 which is the usual fiment and a cross between oil & grease. Basically it stops most of the leaking that land rover hubs will usually have, of course war time Ross steering boxes and axle hubs also leak in the same way.

Hello Everyone,

I wondered if you could all help me with a question? I know it is easier on here to ask, as unfortunately the CCKW forum seems so slow and inactive( No idea why that is).

Can somebody shed some light on the conversion of oils, as the original manuals state acronyms and prefixes that I cannot decipher!

So what oils do the following take, I have a fair idea but it's good to know the modern equivalents.

1. Engine Straight 30 such as Morris Oils Classic 30

2. Gearbox Straight 90 NOT EP such as Morris Oils AG90

3. Transfer box As gearbox

4. Steering box As gearbox

5. Steering swivels Ordinary general purpose grease without additives NOT the sachets supplied for Land Rovers

6. Axles I asume you mean diffs, again as gearbox.

There are also a huge number of grease and oil points, these are all shown in the lube charts in the TM. You can download the Tech Manual for the forum or elsewhere on the internet but I always have a paper copy as well, these are available from Mark at Jeepworld.