cvrt petrol fuel pump

diesel1

My sabre fuel pump is pumping just short of 1 litre a minute, this seems very low output for these engines, would you think the pump needs replacing?

Andrew

Sounds light, but then I've never measured mine.... Have you checked the filter in the pump and the fuel filter?

You also need to measure the back pressure with the flow closed off as well as the flow rate.

It may pump quite well with an open flow but once the flow is restricted it may not be able to pump quite so well.

Diana

My sabre fuel pump is pumping just short of 1 litre a minute, this seems very low output for these engines, would you think the pump needs replacing?

Andrew

Thankyou for your replies, new filter, pump filter ok, restriction in tank? not sure, pump ticks very fast all the time, im sure my spartan never use to, not that fast anyway. New pump ordered, looking at new pump flow rates, not found one that pumps as little as 1/L/ min.

It may pump quite well with an open flow but once the flow is restricted it may not be able to pump quite so well.

Diana

Dirt in the fuel most likely. Fit one of these after the pump :-

[h=1]Single Fuel Filter Assembly Cav Glass Bowl 1/2"-20UNF - lots on ebay.[/h]Diana

Was running fine, put a recon engine in it a week ago, did to miles fine, then did some hilly off roading at a gentle pace, soon as i got back on the road it started missing

at higher rpm

The spec for these pumps (facet prc1960) suggests they flow up to 32 us galls per hour, which works out at 2 litres/ min so yours is a little slow - but I'm still with Diana on this one - dirt in fuel most likely cause...

I run a Scorpion , and have fitted a fuel pressure regulator in line as a precaution to over fuelling in the carb, which I had experienced years ago on another Scorp. This one has a gauge and reads about 3psi when the fuel pump comes up to maximum pressure and that seems to be all it produces , so the fuel pump must have a built in pressure regulator? So if this self regulating pump fails it forces fuel past the needle valve and floods the engine, which as I said I have experienced. Also, I have noticed that the fuel pump will tick away quite fast if sucking air, I had to undo the fuel filter bowl and turn half a turn , retighten and it came back up to pressure ( 3psi ) and slowed down it's beating as it had reached it maximum, just my experience, Cheers Andrew.