RAF Form 524 MT Vehicle Record Cards

DWS

Question

I was wondering if there are any former RAF MT or Suppliers here who might be able to help me with some questions.

I have copies of a number of RAF Form 524s for RAF BSA WD B40 motorcycles and although many are very straight forward to read, some entries have got me baffled. For example:

35 AX 18

Received from - BSA

On Charge to - CVD Hilton

Received from - CVD Hilton

On Charge to - Air Support Command

Received from - Air Support Command

On Charge to - RAF Germany

SOC - RAF Germany

This Record Card does not actually state which Station or Unit the Motorcycle was On Charge with, only the Command (other cards I have name the Stations/Units) Does anyone know if this information can be found and where?

5 answers to this question

I was wondering if there are any former RAF MT or Suppliers here who might be able to help me with some questions.

I have copies of a number of RAF Form 524s for RAF BSA WD B40 motorcycles and although many are very straight forward to read, some entries have got me baffled. For example:

35 AX 18

Received from - BSA

SOC - RAF Germany

This Record Card does not actually state which Station or Unit the Motorcycle was On Charge with, only the Command (other cards I have name the Stations/Units) Does anyone know if this information can be found and where?

id imagine the vagueness is down to the vagueness of the demand placed. Which in turn is probably down to the supplier not knowing who was where.

35 AX 18

Received from - BSA

SOC - RAF Germany

Each Command had an Command HQ MT staff who controlled all MT matters for Stations and Units within their responsibility. They allocated vehicles to these subordinate organisations in accordance with the published establishment scales. At some point MT matters came under one joint staff, it was from then on that Stations & Units became visible on the record card either simply by name or by the unit ID code.

TED

Each Command had an Command HQ MT staff who controlled all MT matters for Stations and Units within their responsibility. They allocated vehicles to these subordinate organisations in accordance with the published establishment scales. At some point MT matters came under one joint staff, it was from then on that Stations & Units became visible on the record card either simply by name or by the unit ID code.

TED

Thanks for the explanation Ted.

So I assume there is no documentation available to show which stations/Units were allocated these motorcycles?

Dave

Edited by DWS