J60 test run wiring

diesel1

I wish to test run a j60 engine out of the vechicle, ive sorted the wiring to get the starter motor turning but not too sure about the wiring for getting a spark. Its the electronic ignition system.

Looking in the terminal junction box i see the red wire coming from the ign terminal, i put 12v to this thinking this should do the job but nothing!

Any ideas on how this should be wired?

Regards Andrew

Been a long time since I did it, why did you put 12v to the junction box? I seem to remember connecting 24v to the terminal in the middle when you take the cover off. I do remember looking at the wiring diagram and it was pretty straight forward.

Chris

I thought 24v goes into the junction box, the ballast resistor brings the voltage down to 12v for the coil. Thought i was bypassing the ballast resistor as i cannot tell which terminal takes the 24v feed and not wanting to fry any componants.

Regards Andrew

Obtain a copy of the CVRT electrics from GreenMachine Surplus.

Poking about without a wiring diagram makes no sense. Some versions of The J60 have obsolete and expensive electronic ignition, putting the wrong voltage in the wrong place just causes more problems than it's worth. Besides the starter, if for the J60 in its original form is 24V.

Diana

I thought 24v goes into the junction box, the ballast resistor brings the voltage down to 12v for the coil. Thought i was bypassing the ballast resistor as i cannot tell which terminal takes the 24v feed and not wanting to fry any componants.

Regards Andrew