ROAC main Depot

Pete Ashby

I'm currently doing some research on the issue of new vehicles to UK forces during WW2 and have come across several references to a main RAOC depot 'somewhere in the Midlands' the depot operated as a central hub for subsidiary RAOC depots all around the UK

Does anyone know where this main depot was located please ?

Thanks

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby
Finger faster than the brain trouble

Pete I think you mean RAOC. Stores would be split according to the nature of the stores.

COD Chilwell - MT Organization

COD Donnington - Warlike Stores Organization

COD Didcot - General Stores Organization

Each organisation having its own network of subsidiary stores. This was the system in 1952 so I doubt it had changed much from wartime.

Pete I think you mean RAOC. Stores would be split according to the nature of the stores.

COD Chilwell - MT Organization

COD Donnington - Warlike Stores Organization

COD Didcot - General Stores Organization

Each organisation having its own network of subsidiary stores. This was the system in 1952 so I doubt it had changed much from wartime.

Thank you Clive, yes I did indeed mean RAOC :blush: numpty that I am, fingers faster than the brain I'm afraid.

Interesting reply as ever, I think you may have answered another question that I had regarding General Stores.

Regards

Pete

Pete that certainly looks an interesting book, although I hope it distinguishes between the types of stores at different depots & sub-depots & not assume all supplied vehicles. Anyway we'll see.

I hope some of that detail will be revealed in this, which I was lucky enough to win last night.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Army-Ordnance-Regulations-1940-RAOC-RLC-Large-Manual-/371605320171?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Sa1zDxUk2K73EWJzAYGtqsX9Z7s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Thanks for the reply Degsy the reason for asking is that in the unit diary I'm currently working with there is a passing comment about sending a detachment to collect 'new vehicles from a main RAOC Depot in the Midlands'. The unit at this time was forming up in Rushmore Arena so as it's quite a trek up to the Midlands I assumed it was not a sub depot.

Pete

Thanks for the reply Degsy the reason for asking is that in the unit diary I'm currently working with there is a passing comment about sending a detachment to collect 'new vehicles from a main RAOC Depot in the Midlands'. The unit at this time was forming up in Rushmore Arena so as it's quite a trek up to the Midlands I assumed it was not a sub depot.

Pete

Hi Pete,

When Chilwell vehicle depot was full, another vehicle storage area was opened at nearby Donington Park (the race circuit). There was a good book published in the Eighties with the history of the Chilwell depot from its beginnings in 1915 as the National Shell Filling Factory. It is called "The Chilwell Story".

regards, Richard

That's interesting Richard, as there is a single line entry that says 'detachment returned from Leicestershire with new vehicles', I believe that Donnington is in the north of the county.

Present day Chilwell is in Nottinghamshire the thought occurs was it always, or was it a victim of county boundary moves in the 1970's? I can feel a Google coming on.

Pete

Pete, AFAIK Chilwell has always been in Notts, it certainly was in the Fifties when I went there to visit relatives. ISTR that there was a massive explosion at the shell factory that Richard mentions which resulted in a massive loss of life.