Land Rover Defender 90

fv1609

Perhaps you are thinking of the turbo engine which preceded the 200Tdi, that was a naturally aspirated 2.5 litre engine with minor mods and a turbo stuck on. It was trouble with a capital T and must have cost Land Rover a small fortune in warranty claims never mind the harm it did to their reputation.

COO! I'm agreeing with Degsey. The 200tdi is a better lump than the 300. Much better lower grunt. I know somone who builds and races 4x4 internationally. He always chosses a 200 tdi as the base lump. The one problem with them is overheating. If they overheat the head goes. The lift pump also wears out, but at about £35 and 10 minutes to change not the end of the world. Also with any engine you don't know the history, Change cam belt! Again not the end of the world for cost or particullaly difficult. You can also tweack the injector pump quite easily, that does up the power.

Over heating is not an inherent problem, like all vehicles if you lose coolant , continue to drive in any vehicle over heating will result and again in any vehicle will result in head damage. A big part of my brother in laws business is skimming heads, he can do up to 50 per week and Land Rover heads are no more prone to damage than other vehicles. I agree with Tony about cam belts but 200Tdi engine's damage from a broken belt is not usually catastrophic, just bent push rods.

One other annoyance with the 200 Discovery, and it depends on the fitting this vehicle has. The clutch release fork. The rod sits in a cup on the fork and can push straight through! Problem is no warning. Bearmach do a reinforced fork for a few quid, but it is heavy work to change it. My first 200tdi was a rebuilt wreck much abused in its time with about 200,000 on the clock. I kept it for about 4 years. Eventually it came to the point where 'Is it worth spending money on?' I decide no and was going to split it. Then someone made an offer on it for a field truck and I sold it. To my suprise I saw it a year or so later still on the road! Clouds of blue smoke but still running.:D To amplify Degsey, check the water pump and the infamous P gasket that sets behind it.

Quick tip, if your fitting a new fork losley cable tie the push rod in place around the fork it holds everything in place when you refit the clutch slave.

Edited by Tony B