Abbot in road

Bob Grundy

Scan0009.jpgLook closely at the centre photo and you will see an Abbot less 105mm gun. This is in Classic Commercials January 2016 about E Elliot & Sons Transport Ltd, Poole who we involved in an accident on the Bournemouth to Weymouth road, probably late 1960's. The VRN of the Abbot is in shadow so an unknown vehicle (at the moment), four soldiers seem to be assisting with the Abbot to pull the Foden clear.

Look closely at the centre photo and you will see an Abbot less 105mm gun. This is in Classic Commercials January 2016 about E Elliot & Sons Transport Ltd, Poole who we involved in an accident on the Bournemouth to Weymouth road, probably late 1960's. The VRN of the Abbot is in shadow so an unknown vehicle (at the moment), four soldiers seem to be assisting with the Abbot to pull the Foden clear.

Hi Bob,

Looking at the markings on the turret of the Abbot, I would say it was from the RAC Centre (diagonal sign, red/yellow), and War Office Controlled Unit (I think that was the term used for training centres). Seem to think RA tracked drivers were trained by RAC, so out from Bovington.

regards, Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant

There was a vehicle such as that in the horde of vehicles at the B & E Boys storage facility that I visited, some kind of story about why it didn't have a gun that was a lot less plausible than the driver training vehicle usage you describe.

Of note, the Land Rover gong past the Abbot also seems to be ex military.

Robin

There was a vehicle such as that in the horde of vehicles at the B & E Boys storage facility that I visited, some kind of story about why it didn't have a gun that was a lot less plausible than the driver training vehicle usage you describe.

Of note, the Land Rover gong past the Abbot also seems to be ex military.

Robin

It now has a "dummy" gun, it was at one point described as the Abbot tug, will get a picture of it tomorrow.