lancaster front turret

tailgunner

Hi , i`m in the process of trying to restore a Lancaster bomber FN5 front gun turret ,can any body help with parts .

I am in need of a turret ring , gunsight mount brackets and arms and lastly the perspex cupola.

Always intrested in dug up parts or even parts that have come out of the sea!

fn turrets 025.jpg

Not that I'm familiar with this topic but I have read somewhere that some WWII guns for the British were made by Fabrique Nationale in Belgium. Is your gun (turret) therefore coded FN. I live only 40 km from this gun factory which is located in Herstal. Maybe there is a possibility then to contact this factory for parts ...???? There is also http://www.spitfirespares.com having some lancaster parts.

Regards,

Danny

Edited by Danny P

Hi Paul

I have just sent a reply to your pm , i will going over to east kirkby soon as i need to measure there FN50 upper turret as thats another turret i am in the process of restoring plus a couple more..................i think ive got a turret fetish i must start taking pills for it!:nut:

thorpe camp had also passed my mind i will give them a try as well............TA!

Thanks very much for the replys , i might just have an upper turret cupola on its way which will get the Lancaster upper turret well on its way to looking some thing like,

For that model of turret i am looking for the hrydraulic and oxygen slip ring which is mounted on the underside of the turret floor section.

Hi Tailgunner

Looks like you have made good progress so far, not easy to find turret cupolas, though back in the 1980's we recovered about 6 Lancaster mid upper turret cupolas in Oxfordshire being used as garden clotches !

We swapped them for various other aeroplane parts at the time........

Sorry I can't help with anything else, but good luck.

Jules

The RAF never purchased guns from Fabrique National, their version of the ANM2 was different to the RAFs version which became the Browning MkII and II*. We did have a smal number of Colt ANM2s before BSA, Standard and Vickers began production.

Not that I'm familiar with this topic but I have read somewhere that some WWII guns for the British were made by Fabrique Nationale in Belgium. Is your gun (turret) therefore coded FN. I live only 40 km from this gun factory which is located in Herstal. Maybe there is a possibility then to contact this factory for parts ...???? There is also www.spitfirespares.com having some lancaster parts.

Regards,

Danny

Hi Julian

I remember them well , I did get one of you and your mates many years ago ,I just wished I had kept it as it was in a blemish free condition , not one crack in any of the Perspex panels.

Little did I know that I would end up restoring an Lancaster upper turret as well , never mind I might have another one coming .

• 3 years later...
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 7:40 PM, tailgunner said:

Hi , i`m in the process of trying to restore a Lancaster bomber FN5 front gun turret ,can any body help with parts .

I am in need of a turret ring , gunsight mount brackets and arms and lastly the perspex cupola.

Always intrested in dug up parts or even parts that have come out of the sea!

fn turrets 025.jpg

Hi I have numerous turret projects I own a Lancaster forward fuselage, I loan it to Avro Heritage my Lancaster has recently had an accident while being transported is there anyway you might consider selling me your project because the damaged parts I need you seem to have let me know your thoughts you can contact me on 07808644371 my name is Martin.

• 2 months later...

IWM MANCHESTER has a turret display, maybe a contact for parts?

you on Facebook? Go on a site called CAMFOLLOWERS, speak to a guy called TREVOR WILLIAMS (good friend of mine) what and who he doesn’t know ain’t worth knowing. Great guy. Very knowledgeable and helpful. 

Tell him ‘EL DUTTO’ (nothing rude, his nickname for me as I’m always holidaying in Mexico!)

hope this helps