Help with record card PLEASE

ted angus

UIN N0104A = 42 RM CDO (=Commando)

Colour Code A6

A = Army/NATO Green (not always necessarily NATO Green! But on age of this vehicle probably was)

6 = IRR (just plain not distinctive/disruptive)

I'll be back later for other bits as time permits Ted

Thanks Gents, I have managed to find a period location for each user unit. another mystery is the fact its last unit 42 Cdo was Plymouth and it was sold via Fife & Kinross when regional sales were taking place much further south ?

He has unearthed a marking on the front edge of the bonnet 3 Cdo/8 which I presume is 3 Cdo Brigade sub unit ??

look forward to hearing more

thanks

TED

IT would have come from RM Condor at Arbroath.

Fife & Kinross = Kinross Motor Auctions actually at Kinross. I would have to check my diaries , almost certainly I was there on the day , I would have to have a hunt for old auction sales catalogues , IIRC both sites had stripes on the covers. With RM , Plymouth , Arbroath , Norway - it matters not with their operations.

Kinross , ISTR had just one more disposal site - I would have to have a bit think of the name - it was in the South West (and yes they did tend to get RN & RM). Their auctions were not as frequent as BCA & CMA - possibly every 6 months.

On basic of Aug. 1992 date - I would think the previous auction was 26/02/1992 , because I still have Lot 25 Lightweight GS 55KB92 (winterized) . Yours probably was winterized , both those auctions were packed with winterized Lightweights because the RM was being equipped with 90" , so there was a few minta , 55KB92 was the best of the lot and cheap at £1900, I have had it garaged all these years on blocks , never registered 45,816km / 28,468 miles only.

Hi Fulltilt, yes coming from Arbroath would tie in with KInross, but it was on charge to 42 at Plymouth , not 45 at Arbroath. So its possible that it was sold in the south west if F & K had a satellite site ?

Yes it was winterised , some of the heater kit remained .

I am mid way between Arbroath and Kinross and caught the last of HMG disposals thru F & K when I was posted here

TED

Ted & some more waffle from me :D

VE is the VESPER Code that replaced Census Code. After WW2 Census Codes were allocated consisting of 4-digits + 2-digits + 3-digits in 1955 these changed to 6-digits + 2-digits + 3-digits.

The system gave a good deal of information about the vehicle but did not lend itself to Automated Data Processing (ADP) that was being introduced from 1964 in the form of VESPER (Vehicles, Equipment, Spares, Provision, Economics, Repair).

VESPER Codes used 4-digits + 4-digits, the first 4-digits form the Establishment Code Number and the last 4-digits the make, model and mark. When lumped together as 8-digits it forms the Vehicle Code Number.

In 1983 SALOME was introduced (System for Accounting & On-Line Management of Equipment) This was focussed not just on vehicles but equipment that also had codes and was known as Forward Management Codes which morphed into such things as Asset Codes and Liability Codes etc in 2005 with the introduction of JAMES (Joint Asset Management & Engineering Solution).

4-digits + 4-digits codes persist to this day but are derived in an entirely different way from the VESPER days. An FOI request as to the structure of VESPER Codes reveals that the MOD does not hold such information, despite some rather old things like trailers being derived from the earlier system that are still on census.

“B” in front of the VESPER Code of course indicates it is a “B” vehicle although now Green Fleet vehicle codes are prefixed “NB” as deployable assets. White Fleet vehicles (not necessarily white but in delivered livery) are prefixed “B” indicating they are non-deployable assets.

“32” Could well be the "Serial No" in categories of vehicle types. The publication it appears in has 426 entries for "B" Vehicles - Trucks & Vans. Virtually all entries from 1 - 60 are for Rovers. 32 is listed but has no allocation because the date of this book is 1963.

Trailers, "A" & "C" Vehicles all have Serial Nos in their own classes that start from 1. I can't really see how it adds much meaning to defining a particular vehicle type.

Edited by fv1609
Explaing in "32"

Hi Fulltilt, yes coming from Arbroath would tie in with KInross, but it was on charge to 42 at Plymouth , not 45 at Arbroath. So its possible that it was sold in the south west if F & K had a satellite site ?

Yes it was winterised , some of the heater kit remained .

I am mid way between Arbroath and Kinross and caught the last of HMG disposals thru F & K when I was posted here

TED

Almost certain it was Aston Down , they would just move it to nearest disposal site once authorised. Many were returned from Norway to Arbroath and then to Kinross - so a mixed bunch. About that time there was about 30 101" disposed of , very low mileage (best seen at auction) , the rumour was they had been stored at a RAF hangar somewhere up there in Scotland - they were Army.

TED the first date is when the vehicle was ready for delivery the second was when it arrived on site at HILTON the third

the date when the deputy director of engineering / department said the vehicle was fit for use this is how it was explained to me

regards WALLY

Yes , that is more or less the conclusion I came , I "believe" the first date to be the Solihull "despatch in" date (vehicle was transferred from production line to the despatch department ) BUT it could also be the Solihull "despatched out" date (actual date vehicle left despatch department). There could be quite a interval between despatch in / despatch out it would not be a despatch FIFO system on the parked up lots, although I suppose the production line would be more or less loaded on that basis, however they could be building up more than one contract at a time . The efficiency as to notified decision exactly the Ordnance Depot to be delivered to , I understand most left by rail but some would have been by road , all scope for record card confusion - I suppose the main date has to be the date the Ordnance Depot actually signed for as "cursory inspection - undamaged in transit" , probably there was a quarantine area.

The logistics reminds me of factory production planning dept. loading boards with plastic tablets with sticky plastic coloured code dots - long before computers ,,

Almost certain it was Aston Down , they would just move it to nearest disposal site once authorised. Many were returned from Norway to Arbroath and then to Kinross - so a mixed bunch. About that time there was about 30 101" disposed of , very low mileage (best seen at auction) , the rumour was they had been stored at a RAF hangar somewhere up there in Scotland - they were Army.

Hi RUXY I think we can discount a F & K conection with Aston Down, Aston was an ADT auction oover that period.

OK , Kinross must have been a single outlet then (can't think of another possibility now) , possibly ADT just had Aston Down ? , my memory recalls they were a little odd compared to the two big auction groups BCA & CMA - something about the Auction catalogues having candy-stripes on the covers , may be wrong there too.

Just the fact S/O + Kinross , then it must have been auctioned at that site.

Edited by ruxy
amd.