CVRT Track Advice

Markheliops

Hi all.

I wanted to ask the CVRT gurus of which there are many on here a question in relation to track.

To those who know the answer it is probably an easy one to comment on but I work on the basis that no one knows everything and it's better to ask than be sorry later. I don't like taking chances in regard to tracked vehicles.

I'm servicing our Spartan and I am looking at the tracks.

Now if the vehicle was a Chieftain MBT I'd tension the tracks to the correct distance. If not achievable by tensioning alone, I'd count the links per side. If I could I would then remove a link until you reach the amount where over-sized sprockets have to be fitted. Then remove more links until the limit is reached - then track is condemned.

Now CVRT - It's a Spartan so links should be 82-84 per side.

The tensioner should be tensioned to give 120 - 145mm distance.

Now my question is this:

If the tensioners are at maximum and the track stretch is below the 1188mm, is it acceptable to remove a link?

The manual doesn't make it very clear. There are references in relation to "replacing" a link but doesn't state you can remove one like the Chieftain.

The Army recorded track particulars on an AB 413, recording such things as links replaced, etc as another sign for track replacement was when 15 links have been replaced.

As I don't know the history of the vehicle in question, I have no idea how many links have been changed if any!

So to cut to the chase - Is it acceptable to remove links from the track?

Thanks chaps / chapettes

Markheliops

Mark,

I would take a link out if it were me. I see no problem as long as the bushes still look ok.

Chris

You know if I had bet a years wages on who would know and provide an answer - I could now take next year off.

Thanks Chris.

Markheliops

With rubber bushed track like CVRT or FV432 it is possible for the rubber bushes to fail. When they do they deteriorate very quickly and the whole hinge between adjoining links goes metal to metal and eventually you get wear between the pin and the actual link. As a result that pair of links go over pitch and won't run smoothly over the sprocket. You can easily spot dead bushes by looking at the inside face of the track (where the wheels run) and compare the gaps between each link and the next. If bushes have failed the gap will be 1/4" or more bigger than normal. If you have a few gone it makes a real difference to track tension and is really not very safe at more than walking speed.

Obviously if you are going to remove a link, first check that the bushes are all ok on the rest of the track. Move the vehicle so the link you want to remove is under the sprocket and break the track there. This allows you to use the parking brake to keet the tension on the top run of the track giving the track clamp an easier time. With a CVRT it is possible to pull the ends of the track together with a ratchet strap but the proper track clamp is much better. Similarly the correct tools for removing and replacing the pin make life easier and save damage to pins.

The reasion that track should be condemed if 15 links have been replaced is only that if that many have needed replacement the rest are not long for this world. More important is that you don't go below the minimum number of links allowed, and that you have exactly the same number on each side of the vehicle.

Have fun,

David

I agree with Chris aka Sirhc, but then he taught me what I know, and I am 5 hours behind you folks so sorry for being late to the dance!

Mark, good track tools are worth their weight in gold and make it easy.

I find all the CVRTs we work on vary in the ability of the tensioner to keep things tight, it is a detail that I worry about the most after fluids as a thrown track is just plain ugly.

Have fun

Robin

Mark,

It is also worth checking that the rear idler arm is free to move over its full range of travel, they can become stiff and we had one which wouldn't move back down when trying to release the track tension. You can pump some grease in and exercise it if necessary.

Chris