Trakmark - flammability tests!

fv1609

Although this short article is focussed on Shorlands & Pigs, it should be of interest to anyone whose AFV is lined by Trakmark or indeed anyone who sleeps on camping mat roll!

http://www.shorlandsite.com/images/Shorlands,%20Humbers,%20Fire%20&%20Trakmark%20Article%202016-v2.pdf

Edited by fv1609
Link to new version

So the Trakmark is reasionably fire resistant but not the foam - great !

I used to have my business next to a guy who made bench seating for pubs. The foam he used was not in itself fire resistant but he had a water based thin liquid that he sprayed onto the foam after it had been cut to shape but before fixing. The amount needed was quite small, definately not soaking wet. The foam pads would be allowed to dry overnight and would be ready to use the following day. If you directed a blowlamp at it it would grudgingly burn but it was impossible to get it to burn by itself. One wonders why the MOD couldn't have done the same ?

I have a FV434 that was rebuilt at Bovy in 2002. As you probably know the standard beige diamond pattern Trakmark became obsolete in about 2000 and my 434 is entirely padded with the much finer pattern material that superceded it.

Does anyone know what this is called and where it comes from ? On first sight it has a matt finnish but it is actually a very fine, regular, pattern of dots. It goes hard, discolours and curls up just like trakmark and most of mine would benifit from replacement. I have trawled the web but to no result.

David

Edited by David Herbert

David do you think yours might have had the pin head surface Trakmark, that was also available? Not that I have ever seen any.

They might have been using it up when they ran out of the diamond pattern. I was very surprised some years ago that the roll I bought from Withams was maroon. Perhaps the MOD used up anything they could get when the beige diamond stuff stocks were exhausted?

Good stuff, Clive! I think there's also an interesting question about the aluminium fire-resisting paint. The description of 8010-99-943-4732 says "normally applied as a two-coat system", which implies that it wasn't originally applied direct to the bare metal. Some parts of my Abbot show a red primer under the silver - look at the patch on the top right:

IMG_3893aw.jpg

Andy

David do you think yours might have had the pin head surface Trakmark, that was also available? Not that I have ever seen any.

They might have been using it up when they ran out of the diamond pattern. I was very surprised some years ago that the roll I bought from Withams was maroon. Perhaps the MOD used up anything they could get when the beige diamond stuff stocks were exhausted?

Hi Clive,

I did wonder about the "Pin Head" style trakmark but I didn't think of the posibility of the MOD panic buying any remaining stock. It is certainly possible but the fine pattern material is a slightly lighter, less rich colour than 'real' trakmark which might suggest a different manufacturer. There was also a very unpleasant green colour that was used on 432s as the original diamond pattern became unobtainable. This seems to have been supplied already glued to its foam as there were no covered edges, it had obviously just been cut out of big sheets and glued straight to the vehicle.

Andy,

It could be that "normally applied as a two coat system" means that it took two coats of the silver to get coverage rather than that it must have a primer. As it was supposed to be fire resisting they seem to have cut down on the laquer content which is why it rubs off so badly and that would also have made it harder to get a decent coat without it running.

David

David I have a roll of the normal stuff but I also have a length of Trakmark that looks identical but is self-adhesive. But given the time since it was manufactured I suspect it will be as about as effective as these modern self-sealing envelopes (bring back proper gummed envelopes!)

Andy I only have experience of the paint on Hornet & 2 Pigs but these show no evidence of a primer, but they were painted in 1960s-70s. The two-coat system occurs in all the COSAs I have 1980, 1983, 1986, 1993, 1996. I don't know what earlier products were, but I had assumed it was paint it twice because it is difficult to cover bare metal.

Wood is the worst, some of the guides in the Hornet's missile tray were wood & for the 14 years I had it, the paint had not set!

A trap for the unwary is that there is a two-pack (rather than two-coat) aluminium paint that has primer, undercoat, finishing coat for the protection of internal metalwork on heavy duty vehicles, including amphibians that has no stated flame resisting properties.

Interesting article about trakmark, even if I don't have any practicle use for it.

Most plastic or foam like items can belch out noxious smoke and is something to consider.

A bit like modern "plastic" coats and jackets. Warm but can burn easily.

That's why at new year I wear a long leather coat so stray sparks or flames won't melt onto the skin if things do go wrong.

Further to the comments on modern "plastic" coats and jackets I would add cheap shirts - I once had one ignite from the sparks from an angle grinder and looked down to see a widening hole with glowing edges around where the spark hit - the stupid thing I did was try to extinguish it with my gloved hand after putting down the grinder - the hot plastic then stuck to what was underneath ...

I am careful to choose workshop clothes of 100% cotton now

Iain

I have put up a new version:

http://www.shorlandsite.com/images/Shorlands,%20Humbers,%20Fire%20&%20Trakmark%20Article%202016-v2.pdf

The problem was I conducted these tests in the summer then lost my records for the temperature, so relied on my memory.

I have since found the records, yes on the back (& front) of an old envelope! I have adjusted the temperatures accordingly.

I had forgotten that I managed to get the Trakmark up to 300 deg C & it still didn't drip or collapse, just went hard & crusty.