Reviews

Karoshi

Dead Engine Kids by John F.Welch.it's the diary of a B17 ball turret gunner in the 457th BG based at Glatton.written at the time it's a real insight into the feelings of a combat crewman.ISBN is 0-9637909-0-0.

Matt.

Being trapped in their turret was one of the biggest fears of ball turret gunners.Dead Engine Kids can be quite harrowing as he put all his feelings into his diary.he did survive the war and died of cancer in the 1970's.

Another good read is Ladies Men by Mario Martinez (I'm not sure of the spelling),it's the story of Lady Be Good,a B24 which was lost in 1943.she was found in the early 50's in the desert of Libya,the crew were found years later miles from the aircraft having tried walking for help.

Matt.

Matt I know the story of Lady be Good, sad. You've obviously got a bent for the Air thing, I guess Oddball and I are more sort of terrestial.

I'm into reading "Women on the Land" Carole Twinch at the moment. Story of the Womens Land Army.

Incidentally I have a signed copy of Ken Smalls book we were talking about the other day. About the losses on Operation Tiger.

Also about to start "Myths & Legends of the 2nd WW" James Hayward. Its an expose of well..... Myths and Legends of WW2.

I must admit to being a bit biased with this one but if you want to read about life in the air from the British point of view then you could do worse than "Three stripes and four brownings" by Bill Jackson who was a tail gunner with Bomber Command. It could be a bit tricky getting hold of a copy but I managed to find it here

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0919899145/102-4925022-3825703?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

Bill Jackson was the only survivor on a Stirling which crashed in Germany on a mine laying mission. One of my uncle's was the navigator.

Must admit to having a pile of books to read,..they are something like bus's,.........look for reasonable priced/free books and not much about, then all of a sudden..................

'It never snows in september', Robert Kershaw. about Market Garden from the german side.

Commando Dispatch Rider, Raymond Mitchell, a vet who served with 41 Royal Marines through NW europe, as well as Sicily, as a DR.

'Go To It', Peter Harclerode, the illustrated history of 6th Airborne Div.

+ a few others;

Is it just me, or does anyone else find collecting good readable books catching ??

Have just finished reading My Moving Tent, diary of a Desert Rat; by A.A.Nicol. Well worth the read,

Just starting on The Epic Of Dunkirk, by E. Keble Chatterton, this looks to be interesting as it was published in '41.

Not bad from a 10p basket in a local charity shop.

Happy reading to you all.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...