German build wooden reproduktion of British tank

Gradez

Dear readers,

I was not quite sure where to post this, as one could consider it German/British/armour related. But I wanted to share this, as in my opinion it shows in its own way, how the German Imperial Army dealt with the introduction of the tanks by the British in WWI.

I do not know, when or where this picture was taken. I found it among others in a stash of photographs depicting the wartime experience of an enlisted man (Ersatzreservist), who served with 368th Regiment of infantry (10. Ersatzdivision) in France from around 1914 until late 1916 and subsequently with 429th IR (224. Division) in the eastern theatre of operations. 224. Div. was moved to France in September 1918. My guess would be, that the picture was taken in France, as tank warfare at the eastern front was limited.

Futhermore I think, that the reproduktion was build for training purposes, or just to give the men an impression of what they might have to face.

Tankattrappe - 1 VS.jpg

There is a caption on the rear: „Das neue feindl(iche) Angriffsmittel „Der Tank“ umstehend eine Nachbildung aus Holz.“

(German: The new enemy means of attack (or advance) "The Tank" overleaf a wooden reproduktion).

Tankattrappe - 2 RS.jpg

I hope, that this is of interest for you and would be pleased to read your opinions.

Kind regards

Gradez

Edited by Gradez
correction

Makes a lot of sense. The British had a 'This is a Tank' program for thier troops . Aftert all 1 What is it? 2 Is it friendly? 3 If it isn't friendly, how do you damage it? Was the guy artillery? They in particular would need to judge range from apparent size and direction from aspect.

The Great War seems to be a coming of age of the idea that troops on all sides have to think for themselves. So large Visual Aids are ideal.

The Germans made a great deal of replica wooden tanks for training purposes (as how to engage them not operate them). Tankograd publications did a book on the subject:

http://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/Wehrmacht-Special-4013.htm

and they feature in the Beute Tanks book vol1 here:

http://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/beute-tanks-vol1.htm

Dear readers,

I was not quite sure where to post this, as one could consider it German/British/armour related. But I wanted to share this, as in my opinion it shows in its own way, how the German Imperial Army dealt with the introduction of the tanks by the British in WWI.

I do not know, when or where this picture was taken. I found it among others in a stash of photographs depicting the wartime experience of an enlisted man (Ersatzreservist), who served with 368th Regiment of infantry (10. Ersatzdivision) in France from around 1914 until late 1916 and subsequently with 429th IR (224. Division) in the eastern theatre of operations. 224. Div. was moved to France in September 1918. My guess would be, that the picture was taken in France, as tank warfare at the eastern front was limited.

Futhermore I think, that the reproduktion was build for training purposes, or just to give the men an impression of what they might have to face.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]108838[/ATTACH]

There is a caption on the rear: „Das neue feindl(iche) Angriffsmittel „Der Tank“ umstehend eine Nachbildung aus Holz.“

(German: The new enemy means of attack (or advance) "The Tank" overleaf a wooden reproduktion).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]108839[/ATTACH]

I hope, that this is of interest for you and would be pleased to read your opinions.

Kind regards

Gradez

it could have been used for Artillery recognition (a silhouette)..

or for flyers..