Work progressing nicely, but diesel stolly needs transfer box changes...

paulob1

I broke my leg a few weeks ago so am unable to do much but my son has been on a roll.

he has fixed the brakes on the ZIL, only an air chamber failed and a handbrake stuck, but hopefully they will last for a few more years.

he fixed the Green Goddess, new points new coil, handbrake and service.

He fixed the tatra 813, she was just getting stuck in between high and low drive, took a lot of fiddling to get her to free off and engage drive..

He put the CET back into operation and re-attached the bucket, she is running sweet for now..

he has pulled the Stalwart 1 out and is working on freeing the clutch, that is going to be a pig of a job, we have a 50 quid bet he wont do it without splitting the box and engine...I hope I lose the 50 quid.

then we have to fit the diesel engine to Stolly 3. That will be my regular on road truck, although am thinking I might need to change the transfer box for a Saracen one to get the higher gearing for road use, with the standard box I think I will be struggling to get more than 30 mph as she is. With the saracen box she should run to at least 40mph I assume. The bedford engine will really be at max revs at 3000 but will cruise reasonably happily at 2800 all day long. but ideally we don't want to be pushing the old bedford units so hard if we can help it...I have an old saracen transfer box, anyone know if its a straight swap for a stolly one, I know the internals can be changed..

I do know the Saracen transfer box is a very different shape externally and will not have the correct PTO for a Stalwart,but that will not matter for a road only Stalwart.

I have wondered about this myself.

I suspect the preselected box of a Saracen has a different arrangement for lubrication for the transfer box.

The manual gearbox of the Stalwart has the transfer box lubrication pump drive coming out of the rear end of too.

Paul, on the Stalwart clutch, the one on ours was frozen when I came to it. I ran the engine to get some heat through then clipped the pedal down and left it for a week, when I came back to it the clutch had peeled free with no apparent ill effects.

tried all of that we are going to have one last go at getting her running, getting her all hot and bothered and then see if we can get her released but this is not just a stuck clutch the hull got a bit of water in and the clutch sat in water for about three months before we noticed the bung was blocked...and its now been three years since we had the last go at it...this time one way or another she will be sorted...

as regards the transfer box, I am sure someone said I can change the final drive, or a gear in the transfer box to up the gearing so she will run a tad faster...that is all I need to do I think, I have two spare transfer boxes and one saracen box will have to have a look...am sure someone on here has done it though.....

we fired up the old girl ran up the crane and swim gear, all running sweet, just that damn clutch...truly stuck, I dont think it is just the plates stuck together something is not moving in there...must get my manual out and see where water ingress could rust things and have it stuck...its a very naughty clutch...

https://www.facebook.com/TheColdWarCollection

posted some pictures on facebook for those who want a look...was good to see my old crane working again...slowly getting back to getting things sorted again...