Seriuos CVRT design flaw?

terryb

I recently re tracked my Spartan with new track and also fitted the late type two piece rear idlers. I had noticed louder track 'roar' drumming through the floor pan and inspected the rear idlers.This new type has a much wider gap for the track horn allowing the track to move off centre and the idler wheel to run off the rubberised wheel path on the track onto the steel casting.result? the track casting at the edge of the inner rubber path wears away significantly, and cuts a groove into the face of the inner idler wheel. The bearing takes a sustained hammering, possibly resulting in track loss at speed-has anyone seen any info on this in KIT! magazine?

Terry

Terry,

Did you fit any shims between the hub and idler wheel and in between the halves of the idler wheels?

Chris

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105736[/ATTACH]

Thanks Chris, no, no shims at all. The idler rims seem too wide, and too wide a gap for the horn?

Terry

I recently re tracked my Spartan with new track and also fitted the late type two piece rear idlers. I had noticed louder track 'roar' drumming through the floor pan and inspected the rear idlers.This new type has a much wider gap for the track horn allowing the track to move off centre and the idler wheel to run off the rubberised wheel path on the track onto the steel casting.result? the track casting at the edge of the inner rubber path wears away significantly, and cuts a groove into the face of the inner idler wheel. The bearing takes a sustained hammering, possibly resulting in track loss at speed-has anyone seen any info on this in KIT! magazine?

Terry

Terry,

I am a bit out of touch with current trends on CVR(T), but did work on them from about 1980 onwards. Just wondering if the idlers are for Stormer types as I understand it has a wider track (?). As with all things in the Army, you indent for stores by stock number for vehicle concerned, so if you know the number for these idlers then it can be checked out.

Ah, looks like Chris has the info, my comment is redundant!

Edited by Richard Farrant
Added last para

Thanks Richard,

you could well be right. These came off a Witham's CVRT, so assumed they were the correct cvrt ones but have heard how some units fitted Stormer running gear parts to cvrt!!!

Chris, do you have an FV number for the correct idler?

the more I look at this the more it looks like a stormer idler!

Terry

ah! just clocked the As55352 part number on the shim page!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by terryb