Procedure to reactivate a Countryman petrol generator after preserved storage

Dear All

Being rather rural and wanting to have a plan B for the fridge, central heating pump and Internet during extended power cuts due to high winds etc. I wanted to buy a generator. I have arranged for my electrician to provide for a generator supply to those circuits and ended up paying for the last one of these:

http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=2392

On arrival I found it to be in a fitted wooden crate, labelled as being refurbished by ABRO Colchester and provided with its service history book and a big red warning label saying that the engine has been preserved and "contains no engine oil - do not turn". A quick check finds the dip stick to be bone dry so exactly as advertised. Is it as simple as adding the appropriate oil, connecting the fuel supply and pulling the starter cord ? Or are there other de-preservation steps I need to take to avoid expensive repairs ?

Any advice much appreciated

Regards

Iain

Dear All

Being rather rural and wanting to have a plan B for the fridge, central heating pump and Internet during extended power cuts due to high winds etc. I wanted to buy a generator. I have arranged for my electrician to provide for a generator supply to those circuits and ended up paying for the last one of these:

http://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=2392

On arrival I found it to be in a fitted wooden crate, labelled as being refurbished by ABRO Colchester and provided with its service history book and a big red warning label saying that the engine has been preserved and "contains no engine oil - do not turn". A quick check finds the dip stick to be bone dry so exactly as advertised. Is it as simple as adding the appropriate oil, connecting the fuel supply and pulling the starter cord ? Or are there other de-preservation steps I need to take to avoid expensive repairs ?

Any advice much appreciated

Regards

Iain

Hi Iain,

When I worked at REME, then ABRO workshops we did a lot of overhauling of this type of equipment and putting into preservation. They would have been run on an inhibiting oil then drained. This oil would also have been sprayed down the sparkplug hole as well. Carb and exhaust sealed and label on to say do not turn engine. Basically you can fill with new oil and away you go. Check plug is not oily first.

I recall a Countryman generator coming in to service, but cannot recollect what engine it had.

cheers Richard

Richard

It is a Kohler engine based on the writing on the air cleaner - any recommendations as to which oil ?

I attach a photo of the engine in the hope it may lead to a positive ID

IMG_4059.jpg

Regards

Iain

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4057.jpg

Richard

It is a Kohler engine based on the writing on the air cleaner - any recommendations as to which oil ?

I attach a photo of the engine in the hope it may lead to a positive ID

Iain,

I had a feeling it was a Kohler.

Oil, the army used the same oil (multigrade) in these as most of the other vehicles. My preference would be to use a SAE30, as used in mowers and cultivators, etc.

Iain, I very much doubt that generator has AVR and would not suggest using it to power a computer/smart TV etc. Also remember that the KW rating is 80% of the KVA rating and it may have trouble starting a fridge motor if already powering other consumers.