493rd BG Debach Airfield Open Day - May 31st, Any HMVF's Going?

It's been a while since I've been to Debach Airfield, but I'm taking the Ford GPW there this weekend for the Sunday Open Day & Veterans visit. http://493bgdebach.co.uk/

Would be nice to see some other HMVFers there.

I'll be in this 'Station Photo' Jeep, not my usual 'Follow Me' Jeep.

croft12.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

Hi

We will probably drop in after lunch although 35LK88 is a bit modern for the event and will have to go in the visitor's car park!

I havent been to Debach in years - I remember working on a HF radio station there with the Ipswich radio club for what was probably a 50th or 60th anniversary many years ago!

Regards

Iain

Glad you had good weather for it, I really like Debach have they had the opportunity to restore anymore of the buildings? I was last there in 2006 I think and there were remains of a Cletrac sitting around, is it still there?

Steve

The Cletrac belongs to Paul Marriott I think, and he's still collecting parts for it. The Fire Engine Shed which blew down some time ago was rebuilt, and there's a new cafe. The main nissen hut was built some years ago, they built the green house on the top of the tower. Most of the tech site buildings are used for farm equipment. Richard has severl more vehicles in his collection, some requiring work, others on the road.

We were there for about an hour plus lunch on the Sunday - sorry we didn't spot you. I'll post some photos to the show report topic in due course. My daughter wants to go back to the control tower again so it was a worthwhile trip.

Iain

Glad to hear he still has a drive to keep improving the place, when I booked the ambulance in years ago he was telling me how much he wanted one. The hangar dance in the blister hangar was great fun, really need to go back at some point.

Steve

Glad to hear he still has a drive to keep improving the place, when I booked the ambulance in years ago he was telling me how much he wanted one….

You must have influenced Richard, because I was given a guided tour (well it was spread out a bit….) of his new ambulance some weeks back, it was like walking through a 3-D MRI scan! I particularly liked the body rotator jig - but glad my osteopath doesn't have anything like it.

I could see at first hand how complex the WC54 body construction is and how difficult it is to repair properly. Suffice to say Richard is winning, in the best military tactical style, a serious war against the tinworm :D

Edited by N.O.S.