CCKW 353 meassure

cucho ramone

Question

6 answers to this question

I understand that you want a more accurate measurement than this but the drawing shows the top of the chassis exactly level with the top of the wheels. A 7.50 x 20 tire is 35" diameter which is 889mm. It will be interesting to see what the true figure is.....

David

come across this problem a lot using truck manufacturers body builders drawings bulk of vehicles have chassis level with top of tyres when unladed. BUT this is not tyres diameter from floor on 22.5 inch tyre it is usually diameter less 1.5 inch on military vehicle it can be 3inch less. The tyres bulge out at bottom. what is so critical ?. I am currently trying to build a slidebed vehicle that can carry a high roof artic unit and keep under 4 meters for Europe I am working to millimetres on full sized trucks . Guess you are model builder

Edited by cosrec

Hi Cosrec

Yeah, I want to build (in scale) some vehicles used by the American Red Cross Clubmobile Service. The clubmobile based in the Bedford OY, the cinemobile based in the WC62 and the first,the clubmobile based in the GMC CCKW 353.

There is a couple of kits for the GMC clubmobile, but I have the opinion they are not correct in details, ...and in dimensions.

As far as I know nobody has still found the original drawings so I decided to make my own ones. And here is where the tyres bulge out the bottom has a role, I think.

According the drawing I posted the wheels and structure has the same height, but in another drawing the difference is about 35 mm. Well, not to much. But that small difference would be enough for having to move the fuel tank in the right hand side.

If not there would be a conflict between the fuel tank and the body of the clubmobile.

There would be another posibilities: The fuel tank was different, but studying the pictures it looks the same. Other one, my calculates for the supports of the body are not correct. It's posible but before deciding I would like to confirm that relation between the wheels and the structure.

I would suggest until somebody comes up with some other advise to go with wheels level with Chassis rails. then adjust body clearance to fuel tank to look right. I doubt fuel tank was not standard. Then adjust final ride height at rear by adjusting rear wheels to simulate smaller radius at bottom eg filling flat or sinking into diorama

Hi

Well I will try this. That can work with the model.

But building the model is only one part of the job. The great challenge is making the drawings. I am working, or better said, I am trying to work with real measures. With my calculates the floor of the van would be about 120 mm over the structure.

If the chasis structure is lower down , as one of the reference drawing I am using shows, I have the conflict with the fuel tank.

I've been watching again the pictures and I think the solution could be moving the fuel tank downwards.

Atlanta  F2_2 01.jpg

I would say this fuel tank is lower down compared with an usual cargo truck.

So now, a new question. Was it posible move the fuel tank up and down easily?