Drops rack

Can anyone help me please? I am buying a Leyland DAF drops and I'm after a rack to carry my 432. Now I've been told there are two types of rack a light weight for carrying MLRS missiles and the heavy weight one for carrying containers.

Now will the light weight one be ok to lift and take the weight of my 432 which is about 14 tonnes . Col

Can anyone help me please? I am buying a Leyland DAF drops and I'm after a rack to carry my 432. Now I've been told there are two types of rack a light weight for carrying MLRS missiles and the heavy weight one for carrying containers

Now will the light weight one be ok to lift and take the weight of my 432 which is about 14 tonnes . Col

Take a look at the arguments on the pros and cons of carrying a 432 on this link. Note that although people are taking the risk of carrying 432s on DROPS, it is something that DROPS was never really designed for.

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?39265-leyland-daf-8x6-drops-info

Edited by ltwtbarmy

Can anyone help me please? I am buying a Leyland DAF drops and I'm after a rack to carry my 432. Now I've been told there are two types of rack a light weight for carrying MLRS missiles and the heavy weight one for carrying containers.

I was going to suggest the same thread posted above. Note that the guy ferrying his 432 welded up extensions to make his rack wider to accommodate the track width. I have no idea if those extensions are suitably rated for the load, but it seemed like a substantial amount of work. Maybe worth making an effort to talk to him and even look at his setup, if you are local.

Hi, yep you really need to read through the other active thread on exactly this subject , The MLRS rack is too light weight as standard and would definately complain /flex and probably bend and not be safe picking up a 432 . The drops rack load bed is already 5ft off the floor and that's before you put anything on top of it so heavy tall objects could be unsafe to carry . Regardless of whether people are saying it's ok extreme care and luck would be reqd and possibly hope no one in authority takes a interest in you . As with most things it's fine until it goes wrong and for me and my drops if the army didn't do it with the drops then reckon I dont need to try it . Be careful . Martin

as far as i know the only difference between the two types of racks is the thickness of the out riggers on the so called 15 ton racks, i beefed a 10 ton rack with lots of heavy duty box sections to take my ot-90 and it dont bend like a 15 ton rack with a 432 on it.. ive seen them loaded and they warp/bend/sag in the middle a fair bit!

There are/were 2 types of rack: GP and ISO. They are identical except that the ISO rack has twistlocks to secure a container. At the rear these twistlocks are mounted on short fold-out arms because the rack itself being ISO and having the A frame at the front is too short for a full length 20' box.

Both are capable of carrying an evenly distributed 15t load (evenly distributed side to side as well as end to end).

Paul, you say identical, the two types of racks i have are not identical physically....do you mean identical in load carrying capability...as I have always been led to believe that there were two load types and even withams and Levelsely's describe them as 10 ton and 15 ton...?

My 2x MLRS type racks(usually made by Boughton) I have are no way as heavy duty as my ISO twist lock rack(Marshalls) , The MLRS racks are made up of open U channel type frame out riggers where as my ISO twist lock is a lot chunkier and proper full box section outriggers and definately heavier in weight and a lot stronger .

? Think Paul is talking about the std wooden floored GS Marshall made racks and not including the all metal framed MLRS specific racks which a lot of us seem to have which had a specific use/job and not for general service use . So guess there were 3 types of racks then .

Edited by martinsaunders06

Both GP and ISO racks had the same carrying capacity - 15t. Remember though that the GP rack was single use - a bit like a big pallet; it was a throwaway item which once delivered to the gun line would not be used again which explains the different construction.

As far as I recall there was no specific MLRS rack. MLRS rockets came in their own pod which could be loaded to either rack type.

Both GP and ISO racks had the same carrying capacity - 15t. Remember though that the GP rack was single use - a bit like a big pallet; it was a throwaway item which once delivered to the gun line would not be used again which explains the different construction.

As far as I recall there was no specific MLRS rack. MLRS rockets came in their own pod which could be loaded to either rack type.

Hi Paul, There is a specific MLRS rack which had no wooden floor to it and it was only skeletal frame outriggers specific for carrying the rocket pods with very limited tie down points on side rails unlike the heavier GS racks . Unless modified with a floor you cant put or carry any thing on them . A lot of us with drops seem to have them in various modified forms (are a lot cheaper to buy )with a makeshift floor added , i had one of these racks from Dave Crouch which he made into a GS looking type rack and put a wooden floor on cutting off some of the specific fittings to do so . They are not as heavy duty metalwork as the normal GS flat rack . Problem is that none of us use them in there original skeletal form as they are useless so after mods they now look very similar to the std GS racks you are referring too but they definately are not the same design/strength/metal frame as the GS racks . 15 ton on one would definately make it cry . If I remember over weekend I will try take some pics . Funnily enough you are not the first person in the know who doesn't remember or seen them , on numerous occasions at shows ex and current serving guys have looked and said not seen a racks like that ,even suggesting they must be experimental as they'd not seen them .

Martin

Edited by martinsaunders06

thats the one I have two off, yes Dave Crouch sold me a modified one, it definitely is not as strong as the other ones I HAVE. I am going to bolster the thing a bit more with deeper side beam strips, a 6 inch strip welded to the outside of the rack should add maximum strength with minimum weight, plus a few extra side bars...