Saracen Mine Exploder

yorkie56

As someone who has used mine rollers I am a little confused as to why they are fitted to the rear of the vehicle as any detonation could immobilise a wheel station and strand the vehicle or worse injure the crew.

Was this purely to counter anti personal mines and they believed a vehicle could withstand the detonation?

From what I can tell, it wasn't an official kit or mod and was built for something else and adapted to the Saracen.Cheers,Terry

Of the 124 Saracen mods I have, the Mine Exploder only gets mentioned twice in 1976 & 1977.

Certainly a recognised variant as it looks as if its Asset Code was 0005-6401.

App0265.jpg

As someone who has used mine rollers I am a little confused as to why they are fitted to the rear of the vehicle as any detonation could immobilise a wheel station and strand the vehicle or worse injure the crew.

Was this purely to counter anti personal mines and they believed a vehicle could withstand the detonation?

I would think it was probably fitted to the rear, so that the engine was protected at the front. Also, the rear wheels dont have steering arms that could be damaged by a blast. The only issue would be the internal fuel tank located above the rear and middle wheels. Perhaps that was relocated. The Saracen was designed to drive with only four wheels, so if the two rear wheels became damaged, it would still be able to drive itself home.

Regards, Tim