Techie type question

ArtistsRifles

I need to pick up that Sankey from Newark this week and tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning are my only free days. Unfortunately the accident with Fred's arm on Friday seems to have ruled out that option so I had a look at the back of the wifes Explorer and the towball is held on by 4 bolts, not the normal two.

A quick measure up indicates the horizontal pitch on the fixing bolts is OK but the vertical pitch is smaller on the Explorer than on the NATO hitch.

So - the question is - do you reckon pulling an empty Sanky back on two fixing bolts, not four, will be OK???

(If not - I'm b*gg*ered to put it mildly as we're off to Somerset on Friday night for a week and the seller wants it gone this week)

I expect it'd be ok for a one-off journey with an empty trailer but it's not a great idea. I'd bolt through the top holes of the nato hitch and bracket, use wide washers front and back and use the best quality bolts you can get hold of.

Otherwise could you use 4 slightly smaller diameter bolts to catch all 4 holes?

Also don't forget to use a runaway chain just in case :-)

Hi ArtistsRifles

you should be ok with 2 bolts as long as you take it easy...

If you run into trouble give me a should i live in andover.... half way between Essex and Somerset... (07766 727601)

Ta

Cris

Neil,

Remember to use the locking pin on the NATO hitch, this will stop the jaws coming open. If you haven't got one there are loads on ebay, or you could substitute some wire instead.

Chris

Thanks all!! :-)

Question has become kind of redundant right now - took 5 hours to get the 50mm ball off the back of the Explorer and then I find the top two bolt holes are about 3/4 the dia of the NATO ones whilst the bottom ones are the same size. Go inside for a break and Phil rings - Fred is up and about and is talking about getting his Landie MOT'd Friday and picking it up possibly Monday for me!! :-)

In a way I'll be glad when the pageant is over and the presure is off having to concentrate on little Maud. Then I can sort the big ends on my Landie and get her MOT'd too!! :-)