Merlin Engine.

Jack

Actually - I am kind of thinking that perhaps 27 litres may be slightly excessive, but I could be wrong?!

I am not in the least surprised. Early Mark 1 Tigers and Panthers ran 21 litre Maybachs, replaced by 24 litre Maybachs like those in Tiger IIs.

The engine in the Bovington Tiger was the original 21l, but first time they put it under load a con rod went through the block and trashed it. They were unable to source the correct 21l Maybach anywhere in the world to replace it, so they had to settle for a 24l out of a Tiger II, so it is authentic (in that Tiger 1Es later had the 24l engine) but not genuine (in that this particular example never did).

Oh dear.........

John Dodds did it with so much more style back in the 70's.

Anyone remember the fibreglass bodied RR he built ? That was rather nice..until,as I remember,it caught fire. :-( . Seem to remember RR got rather touchy especially as he used one of their rads on the front of the car.

Yes I saw the car at several shows before its demise, John Dodds was responsible for the body and fake Rolls grille, but an engineer Paul Jameson actually built the car, it was of course a Meteor tank engine but it was always promoted as having a Spitfire engine....er.. seemed to be missing the blower....

I was working at Aviation Jersey when John Dodds tried to get some spares for the Meteor engine in his 'Rolls Royce'. No wonder Rolls were not happy, the engine was a Meteor Rover build. All sorts of claims were made for it. None were satisfactorily proven.

mmmm.. most impressive but I think not the same car as in my pic, that engineering was more of a sat afternoon job with gas axe and angle grinder !!

Yes I am sure it is the same car, only a few years ago, He thew the engine in the car with some old SU's as he did not get the propper carbs when he got the engine, this was to fit engine and work out bits and bobs and to trial the drive train ect and sort out the chassis ect.

Now he is going through the car to sort it properly and cosmeticaly to finish it off.

If you want a REAL Merlin powered car try this..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5yB3U9gGW0

Happy watching....

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a Merlin powered 6 wheeler in Brighton about 25 years ago. It was in the Speed Trials and was gold coloured with 2 bubble cockpits and twin bus axles at the back.Awesome!

Currently there is a beautiful handbuilt silver roadster doing the local shows. It has a non blown Hurricane engine.

I saw the Rover at Bromley a while back.That sounded good too.

I always wondered if one would fit in a Stolly!?

Martin

If you've got a Stolly you have one or it's cousin. They were also fitted to Saracen and Saladin. Ghastly bloody thing to work on. The exhaust valves are sodium packed, you try being the apprentice steam cleaning the things when they come back from what was then Rhodesia. One had a crack right across the head diagonally, unfortunately I was the poor apprentice steam cleaning the thing when it was discovered a valve had cracked. Cured the constipation. Also had one blow up the test bed, did go well. The basic history is Rolls were building tank engines and Rover developing Merlin as an aero engine. Under the war time Ministry of Works it was agreed that Rover would take the tank engine line, being vehicle manufacturers and Rolls the merlin as they were aero engineers.