Bedford RL saved from the scrapman

sharky

afs_pipe_carrier.gif

That was the original type body.

HaighHall2006resized.jpg

2006, on the way to a rally!

Cheers for those she looked great then didnt she. Sadly no trace of the body.

Unknown on the mechanicals I've not had chance to even try crqnking engine over.

I'm sure she'll fire up with fresh batteries! Saying that that's what we were told when we bought ours from ebay, trouble was it had seized through standing, no big deal really.

It looked a bit worse than yours.

Ebaypic_zpsf62a1f25.jpg

Great old beasts though, she looks like this now

Good Work!

AFS = Auxiliary Fire Service, nothing to do with the Army, who only drove green goddess in later years.

No record of the current registration in The Green Machine (the AFS oracle) so it has certainly been re-registered at some stage. Shame the body is missing, amazing how a few years outdoors can destroy them and let the rot set in!

Be good to see how it develops - good luck!

Cheers, Duncan.

Good Work!

AFS = Auxiliary Fire Service, nothing to do with the Army, who only drove green goddess in later years.

No record of the current registration in The Green Machine (the AFS oracle) so it has certainly been re-registered at some stage. Shame the body is missing, amazing how a few years outdoors can destroy them and let the rot set in!

Be good to see how it develops - good luck!

Cheers, Duncan.

Sorry yes auxiliary my mistake.

Some details of its past

Formally Ryx 342

Contract/ build number N06/veh/20602 1956

Bumper numbers 02117

Fleet number j25

Served with Glamorgan till June 62

Then to home office fire training service for storage.

Centre then used her about 1980

Sold to leaversleys 1988

D. Kearsley. Ashton under Lyne purchased her Oct 89

G Rivers chapel en le frith purchased April 91. 5000 miles recorded. registration changed To AFA 857A around this time.

D. Read. Nottingham purchased 17/04/98 8000 miles recorded.

Unknown now but was told ended up with a wrecker set fitted being used in a scrap yard as a yard vehicle.

Feb 2014 Iain Bonner (Keighley bus museum) purchased her as non runner sat outside museum till we purchased her last Friday 10200 miles on clock.

Well done in saving it.The RL are getting a rare truck now.

Looks in good shape,have you got undercover storage as does make a massive difference.

Cheers. Cab is in a sad state the bearers have rotted out and the drivers side floor is shot but its not a massive job its just down to getting time.

I have a large workshop but its pretty full at minute with various vehicles stored with me over the winter and customers Restorations I have in.

She'll hopefully come in early next week when I have rearranged everything then i'll remove cab and tick away as time allows repairing the cab.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry nothing to do with this RL, but reqire photos of RL's think they might have been used out in Norway or some place similar need photos of these RLs in snowy conditions with the camaflaged, this is for a modeling project. Any one interested in RLs may not know that KFS (google it in) are producing a Bedford RL in 1/24th scale resin kit about June time.

• 8 years later...

Hi Sharky,

I have come upon one of the previous owners of the AFS Bedford last week and he is very keen to know what has happened since the last post of 2015. Could you let me know if RYX 342 is still alive and well and whether you did finally find a new body for it.

Thanks,

Best wishes,

Mike.

Hi Snowdrop358,

Many thanks for this.
I have passed on the information to its previous owner. He will be sad to see it in its present state as it was a fully operational AFS Hose Carrier, complete with equipment when he sold it, but, at least, it is still providing a service to its owner. 

Thanks again, much appreciation from myself and the ex-owner.
Best wishes,

Mike.

• Like 1