Date into service from service registration

Sean N

Question

There have been times when dates into service have been discussed for a particular vehicle, and I've been surprised by the detailed records people have available - so here's a long shot!

Would anyone have a build date or date into service for Bedford RL service registration 09 CE 77 chassis RLW27411 supplied on contract 6/VEH/26215?

When last I tried, RLC couldn't track down any records. Judging by cab and chassis details, the CE registration and chassis number it's 1958 or 1959, possibly a year either side of that, but I'd like to confirm.

6 answers to this question

From what I have seen from others, the RLC system of data retrieval has really managed to get up and dare I say it fly. Very fast response times recently for friends of mine.

I think they now have everything accessible, I wonder if it is worth trying them again as you may have asked during a changeover period originally

Robin

JUST a point on the subject on the CE service key cards in the series 08 CE 64 TO 18 CE 03 only 293 survived how do l know well l still have a copy of the records of vehicle records held by the museum of army transport up to December 2002

this copy was held in case of a part or total lost of the original list also the registration numbers ran from the first day of

april to the last day of march the following year the financial year

Thanks Wally. You put it slightly earlier than me, but it's 5000 chassis numbers away from an RL known to have been built (though not registered) in 1957, so as I say from that and the design details I thought it had to be around then.

I hadn't realised they stopped a registration sequence when the FY ended. Clearly multiple sequences were used in a FY though. CE would not have been the only registration sequence in 1957 / 58, surely?

SIRHIC is right vehicles and equipment ordered in the 1957/58 FY would not all be delivered in that FY some would arrive in the 1958/59 FY but still carry the CE registration number because they had been ordered and budgeted for in the 1957/58 FY but any vehicles ordered after the first of april 1958 would then carry the CL numbers THE key card record indicates that by December 1957 they were issuing numbers in the 12 CE OO range also chassis numbers do not arrive in a orderly

sequence the CE numbers were given to trailers trucks buses landrovers and so on l hope this helps a bit to under stand what is a very complicated system