1914 Dennis Lorry

BenHawkins

The foundry finished the clutch casting so I have been to pick it up. Another hundred pounds spent to tick a part off the list but there is quite a lot of work involved in machining, then fitting the lining.

IMG_2822s.jpg

I could not drive the rusted remains of the split pin out from the gearbox output shaft. Clamping the shaft to the table of the milling machine I was able to align the drill axis to the split pin, start the hole with a stub drill then drill through with a 4.5mm drill leaving a small amount of the 3/16" split pin and some rust to pick out of the hole. The damaged thread is likely to be slightly more of a challenge to rectify.

IMG_2816s.jpg

The final part for the rear universal joint are the bronze sliding blocks. I started by sawing blanks from a piece of square bar.

IMG_2826s.jpg

Then milling them to approximately the correct size.

IMG_2827s.jpg

And added a hole in the middle with a counter-bore so I can clamp them to a jig for milling the outside diameter.

IMG_2836s.jpg

Still plenty of work to do to finish these.

The universal joint at the other end of the propshaft (back of the gearbox) is more conventional but another part I am missing. Fortunately the spares book states the part number and the drawing has survived (in the Surrey History Centre).

The drawing states a malleable casting so I think I will get them made in steel. I started by pattern making for the star piece (Part Number 205/3). I used a hole saw to cut a number of discs out of some MDF I had left over from building my house and gluing these into stacks on a 1/4" mandrel to keep them lined up.

IMG_2823s.jpg

After turning the two stacks to diameter I used a hole saw in the mill to cut a section of a circle out of one of the stacks.

IMG_2824s.jpg

Then I was able to glue the two stacks together and counter-bored a socket for a 5/8 boss where the lubricator will fit.

IMG_2828s.jpg

I then cut it half with a hacksaw to make the moulders job easier and fitted three location pins so the two sides line up again.

For the Cardan Shaft Jaw (Part Number 205/6) I decided to start it in two halves rather than cut it after assembly. This began with drawing the profile up in CAD and printing the cross section 1:1 so I could glue it onto some 6mm MDF and cut around with a jigsaw. This also gave me the accurate points to drill for the location pins.

IMG_2829s.jpg

I then took my stacks of MDF and cut 12mm from the middle with a hacksaw.

IMG_2830s.jpg

I could then glue and clamp them to the central profile.

IMG_2831s.jpg

The webs were easily cut, a radius sanded onto them and glued into place.

IMG_2832s.jpg

Then they all had a coat of primer. They will all need a bit more filler and sanding before they are good enough for the foundry.

IMG_2833s.jpg

It is now time to clean the machines down and machine some of the lumps of metal I already have!

I have been a bit distracted this week but still managed to make a little progress.

The universal joint jaw pattern has had a bit of filler and another couple of coats of primer. It needs a little more sanding before I give it a coat of pattern paint.

IMG_2854s.jpg

I won a 5/16 keyway broach on an internet auction so decided to use this to put the keyway in the gear selector drop arm. To start with I had to make a slotted bush from a bar end of steel

IMG_2846s.jpg

Then use the press to force the broach through, each time adding a shim until the correct depth was achieved.

IMG_2848s.jpg

I files a notch in the wings and their brackets and filed three of the corners from the square on some coach bolts to properly fit the mudguards.

IMG_2845s.jpg

Fitting the mudguards allowed me to check the width against my body drawings and the original photo. I have sent off the cutting list for the bed to a timber merchant. The cab will be ordered later as I don't think I have the space to do them both at once.

I machined a block of steel, putting flats the correct distance apart, then drilled and tapped M8 on the centre line. Using a Dial Test Indicator I centred the block on the rotary table.

IMG_2837s.jpg

Followed by machining the radius with an end mill.

IMG_2841s.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]117665[/ATTACH]

I drilled and countersunk the lubrication hole then used some masking tape to give the location to clamp the blocks on the rotary table so I could machine the curved lubrication grooves with a 1/8" ball nose slot drill.

IMG_2843s.jpg

Turning the blocks around to machine the second groove.

IMG_2844s.jpg

After putting the vice on the milling machine and centring on the block I drilled out the counter-bored hole (used for fitting to the jig), then opened the hole up to 1-1/8" using the boring head.

IMG_2851s.jpg

The final job will be to machine the internal lubrication grooves.

IMG_2853s.jpg

I tilted the head on a milling machine and used a woodruff cutter to add the internal oil groove. The positioning and depth did not need to be incredibly accurate so I just returned the table height to the same zero point each time, moved the cutter until it just touched then moved a further 1/16". Each time I turned/swapped the block I lined it up with the side of the vice jaws.

IMG_2859s.jpg

Ready to fit.

IMG_2868s.jpg

I had a family event this weekend so there is a little less progress than usual but I have spent some money on an order of steel for the universal joint pins and bushes (this one and the matching one for the 1908) and some steel for the body.

IMG_2862s.jpg

More money spent on a batch of laser cutting. These are parts for wing brackets and various body fittings, some of which I have already attacked with the angle grinder.

IMG_2863s.jpg

Add that to the order for the timber to construct the bed and I have certainly exhausted my salary for the month!

The transmission brake hub did not come with the clamps for the universal joint bushes. After machining two blocks to the same size I mounted them together in a machine vice, found the centre and drilled a pilot hole. I then bored the hole out to just short of 1.250" (the diameter of the bushes) using a boring head.

IMG_2858s.jpg

It was then easy to clamp the blocks up on a suitable piece of steel and turn the diameters.

IMG_2860s.jpg

After a few further adjustments to the shape using the milling machine and a file I fitted them to the transmission brake hub and reamed through the holes to clean up the corroded surfaces and open up the clamps to the finished size.

IMG_2865s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I am making this up as I go along but for the rear brace I plan to drill through the vertical faces of the casting and bolt through to the braces this way.

The front pair will be much more of a challenge. There is a reasonable amount of the nearside mount remaining but the offside one is completely missing. This will probably involve fabricating a copy of the missing mounting, then trying to weld it to the existing casing. For this brace I think I will resort to bolts through the case to the inside of the gearbox as well (making sure I position them to miss the gears).

run some solder across the whole of the contact area

theres enough cross sectional area available here to stiffen it all up...

The glamorous assistant required some entertaining and dining this weekend but helped out in the garage for the rest of the weekend.

I started on the replacement steering arm by facing and centre drilling a length of EN3 steel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112941[/ATTACH]

Then turned the taper and thread on the end and checked it fitted the axle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112942[/ATTACH]

Using a bent piece of welding rod to work out the approximate length required

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112943[/ATTACH]

Then Sarah turned the diameter down for me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112944[/ATTACH]

It needs a keyway adding to the taper before heating up and bending. Then it will need cutting off to length and a boss shaping for the ball joint to fit to. I need to machine a tapered socket for the ball joint and that is probably beyond the capabilities of my facilities.

nice to see a rollorbox wasn`t involved

Sorry for the lack of updates, we have taken a short holiday that included a trip to the Great Dorset Steam Fair.

However I still have some progress on one item from before we left. If you remember, I had to split the transmission brake hub nut to get the gearbox apart. I thought I had damaged the thread on the output shaft but I found a Coventry die chaser of the correct pitch and cleaned it up by hand. As it turned out it was actually just rust left in the thread.

IMG_2871s.jpg

Making the hexagonal blank for the nut is in a previous post; I was fairly confident I would not find a new old stock 1-5/16x16tpi Whitworth form slotted half nut. I drilled then bored the nut blank out to the correct diameter followed by cutting the thread using a single point tool. The photo shows me checking the finished thread fits the shaft.

IMG_2873s.jpg

Then it was just a case of adding the slots for the split pin.

IMG_2874s.jpg

A bit less progress this week as Beaulieu autojumble, auction and also collecting the engine for the 1908 used up around three days.

After countersinking some of the laser cut profiles I bent them in the press.

IMG_2919s.jpg

To give corner brackets for the bed.

IMG_2916s.jpg

The timber for the bed has arrived as well and will hopefully take shape soon.

IMG_2914s.jpg

The rear universal joint socket had been getting in the way so I decided to bolt it in place. I still need to sort out some Grover washers for it and to fit the split pins.

IMG_2980s.jpg

I had a day off work this week to make some progress towards manufacturing the bed. After marking out the ash bearers I cut the radius with a hole saw and the straight lines by hand.

IMG_2968s.jpg

Then to get the clearance to fit the saw in the central section I cut a number of slots with the circular saw.

IMG_2971s.jpg

Followed by chopping the wood out with a chisel.

IMG_2972s.jpg

I had invited some friends around for the weekend. The weather was a bit wet on Saturday so we had to stay inside where the space is a little limited.

After bolting the bearers to the chassis we were able to lay out the timbers for the perimeter rail to allow the lengths to be scribed.

IMG_2979s.jpg

We made a drilling jig from a reject casting to keep the drill square to the timbers, then counter-bored for the nuts and washers. The perimeter rail will later be covered by a steel capping piece.

IMG_2983s.jpg

More of the timbers were primed and allowed to dry over night before reassembling and adding the corner braces I had made previously.

IMG_2985s.jpg

Douglas fir tongue and groove boards cut to cover the bed area leaving an opening for the access panel for the back axle.

IMG_2986s.jpg

With the access panel in place. The factory photo does not show the finish of the floor boards, seeing the boards here I am tempted to just varnish them.

IMG_2987s2.jpg

Unfortunately I messed up the cutting list for the steel capping rails so I need to order some more.

I would like to thank my friends for their help this weekend.

You had just one day off? Makes my week off look pretty unproductive!

Keep up the good work!

Steve :-D

One day to shape the bearers but I did think my arm would fall off at the end of it!

I have been looking through early photos and magazines but the bed is rarely on show. Gloss paint or varnish did not seem right as the finish would be scratched by the crates and would need to be easily maintained.

My good friend Mick who provided the chassis in the first place lent me "Motor Body Work for Commercial Cars" (1916) and this seems to have the answer:

IMG_3001s.jpg

Suggesting the floor should be dark grey or black.

Back to manufacturing:

Cutting and welding the rear angle iron hoop.

IMG_2991s.jpg

The universal joint on the back of the gearbox has the first pin slotted so it can be retained by the second pin (a shoulder screw) with a slotted nut. I have only roughed out the shoulder screw so it needs to be finished and oil grooves added to both pins before they are nitride case hardened.

IMG_2998s.jpg

I made a drilling jig and lined up the planks for the back board with some scribed lines for fitting dowels

IMG_2994s.jpg

Checking the boards fit together.

IMG_2995s.jpg

Using the 3, 4, 5 triangle rule I drew on a line at one end and trimmed it square, followed by marking off the line and cutting to length.

IMG_2996s.jpg

http://www.diy.com/departments/ryobi-one-18v-150mm-cordless-circular-saw-rwsl18011l/196739_BQ.prd

(I am sure that it was never meant to do it, but mine has cut through 150x20mm aluminium bar without any sign of complaint. But you do end up with swarf in your underpants)

Underpants are the minimum "Personal Protective Equipment" required, other PPE is available!

I do own a circular saw but I can follow my line more closely with a hand saw.

The first job this week was to cut the thread on the universal joint pin and add the split pin hole.

IMG_3152s.jpg

Much of this week has been taken up by priming the floor boards, first with a thinned coat followed by an un-thinned coat. I don't have enough space to do them all at the same time.

IMG_3151s.jpg

I had made a mistake with the angle hoop so had to splice an extra piece in the middle but now all the welds are flushed off and it has a coat of primer it looks like the one in the delivery photo.

IMG_3145s.jpg

I cut some lengths of 40x12 convex steel bar, drilled and countersunk them before welding them to make up the coping irons (thanks to "Motor Body Work for Commercial Cars" I now know what they are called).

IMG_3146s.jpg