Plain Recovery

Giz56

Hi all

After a very dusty last few weeks i decided i could smell mud. so as no one else was about i went off for a jolly on my own and guess what..... I GOT STUCK... over by upavon in what i now know it called the WATERTRAP.... GRRRR.

this isnt normally a problem but there is normally somone arround to pull you out but this was the quitest day i have ever seen on the plain.... not a sole for hours. so i called the local farmer who was enjoying a lovley weekend away in france. so to get to the point i have to call out wessex recovery at 300 bux a pop it turned out o be a pricy jolly.....

if any body else finds them self in this sort of situation... which all us mud seekers do from time to time and you need a last resort call me. (07766727601) i will turn up with all the impotant stuff... chains, rope, coffee, fags, and will endevor to get you out ur hole, swamp, marsh ETC at cost of a packet of fags and the fuel it took me to get there....

Thanks All

Cris :tongue:

p.s i promise not to use my signiture for this.....

Hi Engima

Where i live is near Salisbury plain.... 24 square miles of off roading...

yea it is better to go out in a group and safer. but i have never been in a situation where there has been no recovery within 3 miles....

i think next time i go out on my own i wont take such a greater risk.... but i know there will be other times i am out there on my own... either by bike or landy...

i know that why i thought i would off my service.... another landy could have got me out of that easy....

BTW if anyone reading this is ever going for a burn accross the ranges i would be interested in joining in

Cris

I would be real carefull when out on the ranges. I can tell you that if you get cought anywhere were you shouldent be IE of the normal track you can exspect one hell of a fine and posibly have your landy taken away and crushed. If you speak to any of the land or range wardens they will tell you the same thing. Salisbury Plain has over 2500 ancient monuments and all protected by law. Please be carefull when you are out there, I have being useing the ranges for 20+ years and have seen so many accedents by folk that think it is a play ground. 3 years ago a 5 year old girl was killed by a reckless moto crosser thinking that the ranges belonged to him with no reguard for any one else. The next time I see Chris Moore I will get him to send me some of the accedent reports he has had to deal with, its not good reading. Also you must remember that there are some nasty vehicles up there rangeing from Land rovers, Large truck and 70 tonne Challengers. These things can apair from know where and catch you right of guard.

Stay safe and keep hold of your Landies. If the Army have there way the ranges would be closed to all and that means Classic military vehicle. This is not a Sabre rattle just trying to protect something speical.

Tony

Hi Tony

you sound like a local chap. i have lived round here all my life... i use to live on Gore-Cross which is the hamlet as the imber ranges meet lavington. yea you have got to be carful up there i agree. some of the monuments are things i go to look at... they had practice trenches from the first world war and al sorts of interesting things.

keep a eye out for a book called The Field Archaeology of the Salisbury Plain Training Area it is a interesting read..

as for safety on the plain goes

I always watch out for others. i learnt to Ride, push and motorbike, drive, up there and alot of other people do so i am always on the look out.

Plain points

1. Never go up there when the red flags are flying.

2. always stick to the highway and by ways. (MOD maps are better than OS for this) and plan ur route

3. offroading is a game of going slow not fast.

3. always take the correct equpment,

4. keep a eye out for others in, (i have found a few people in trouble before now)

5. you also shouldn't pick anything up.

6. never go it alone if there isnt anybody going out with a 4x4 with atleast take a m8....(he can guide you through hard bits, dig when ur stuck etc.)

If you stick to these you shouldn't go far wrong. and it will also keep the Range Warden happy.

Kit i carry

1. spade, pick axe, digging equipment,

2. change of cloths and water proofs

3. touches more that one is better or spare batterys.

4. maps i carry 1:50,000 of the hole plain and 2 1:25,000 east and west. Compass, i carry one bearing compass and one map reading one. and OS GPS as backup

4. rope, chain, bunge cord, cable tyes, high lift jack,

5. mobile Phone, charger, i also carry a CB most farmers and other off roaders carry them.

6. First aid kit, i carry a full army

7. Food, (sad i know but i carry 2x24hr ration packs, hexi, etc)

8. water both for you to drink and for your vehicle

9. vehicle recognition panels ( they are bright so ur 4x4 can been seen)

10. tools, bulbs, jack, booster kit, pump, oil, coolant, wd40, bow saw, bodge tape, vehicle repair stuff etc.

Dont get put off by this there are LOTS of interesting places you can legally drive. get muggy and stuck.... as per picture.

Yes Cris, I too have lived here all my life and I am well aware of the rules.

Do you know where the WW1 trenches are as I would like to take the lads there next year, if the visit goes ahead?

Looking at your picture - can't remember any of the tracks, byways and highways being in that bad condition :rofl:

Tony

Hi sorry if you feel like i was teaching you to suck eggs... no my intention. more for the benerfit for other on the plain. i like to keet the range warden happy other whise he can stop all of us from having fun.

Trenches

there are 3 areas of the plain that i know have practice trenches.

Balford (its a big figure of 8 and is on a walking track near the kiwi)

Lavington (just of the ridge way not to far

Alderbury (they are in the impact area)

The picture is of the one in Balford. when i get home later i will put the O.S info on later

No probs Cris we must get together and sort some visits to these places for next year. I will give you a ring later Have you a land line rather than mobile? Just PM me and I will ring. How far is it to walk to get to the trench system?. I think the Bulford trenchs would be the best as this is not to far from the camp site if we get permission to camp there again. Spoke to Bob at Westdown monday and as far as he know there were no complaints from Joe public about us being there. Even the Ramblers said nothing about there dusting. I did try to book for next year but I was told to hold fire as a new commandant will be takeing up the post this year ad will have to wait and see what his feeling are about such events. There is a plan B which I will let you know about when I speak to you later. If you have any idears about next year give me a shout and we can sort it out. This year was just a taster of things to come.

Speak to ya soon

Joris did I read some where you might be able to come next year. That would be great.

If we have a date I can block it in my agenda, flying over is rather cheap so that's no issue.