Sankey Communications Trailer

I have just seen a Sankey Communications Trailer on eBay, and I was wondering whether anyone had any information about it? I haven't seen one before. What equipment would it have carried?

The seller says the electrics have been stripped out of it.

Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Military-Sankey-Wide-Track-Trailer-with-Communications-cabin-/201227884039?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

I may be wrong, but I think that's no comms trailer! It's an RB44 comms body on a wide track trailer!

There are 'proper' communications trailers around, many of which were converted to aircraft battle damage repair trailers. I had 2 of them!

Jack

A slightly cheaper and purpose built alternative - Arthur Barraclough still had some of the NCRS trailers from 30 Sigs (I believe he bought the unsold stock from RAMCO) - see: http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=74684&cat=7

These were a purpose built cabin and trailer for radio use but (from experience having had one) are front heavy and you will need to ballast the landrover forward of the rear axle to ensure steering and front brakes work as expected - I understand the original owners put steel plate on the floor of landrovers used to tow them for that reason.

The other gotcha (from painful experience again!) is that they have a cable operated parking brake which sticks on - always jack it up and release the brake or you will end up with the wheels and drums off as I did !

Best Regards

Iain

73 de G0OZS

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies. That NCRS trailer looks too heavy for me to comfortably tow with the Land Rover, and I don't have a trailer licence currently anyway.

I liked the look of the sankey one, due to the communications cabin being demountable, but it's unfortunate that its electrics have been removed.

Jack.

I have one of the barraclough trailer cabins on it's trailer. Arthur delivered it to me. Towed all the way down from Yorkshire, behind a Toyota 4x4 car. NO Towing issues were revealed on the journey down. He said it towed nicely at 65mph + with no problems! You MUST remember, these trailers were ORIGINALY loaded down with electronics & comms Sets. In THAT configuration, they WERE very heavy! Not so when empty! :) I removed all the redundant cables & fittings from mine. Fitted twin steel bunk beds, A wooden corner shelf. & a flatscreen TV/ DVD player. They have a clock, twin electric lights. Twin elec wall heaters. & 3 x 240 Mains sockets. I run mine off a normal petrol genie, & it all works VERY nicely indeed! I cannot recommend them enough! VERY comfortable, no more Tent Erecting! Pull up at a show. unhitch, drop a jack front & rear. Clip on the steps. Plug in the genie, & put the Kettle on! Marvellous!.... I can pull mine behind My Vauxhall Zafira with no trouble at all. & it's only a 1600 engine! Effortless. I will be normally towing it behind my 101 Landy at shows.

And as a bonus, there is a ladder fitted at the rear to one side. If you climb up onto the roof with a folding land rover chair.

You have a Fantastic view over any show ground. with a TOTALY uninterrupted view! Superb! :laugh:

If you want a comfortable set up, then I would heartily recommend getting one of these.

Arthur only has a couple left now & is open to offers.

I asked him nicely, & he threw in a spare wheel & tyre for free as well! :laugh: