Bren tripod on Morris C8?

Rick W

I was just ambling through the parts list for the C8/AT (Mark3) when I came across the following parts. :cofee:

BODY

DB.11798 Assembly of mudwing bolt and clamp plate for bren gun carrier.

DB.6013 Clip -For bren gun tripod

DB 10938 Staple for bren gun tripod strap

(These are on the abridged list page 2)

Can anyone enlighten me on these. It would suggest to me that either there may have been a facility to mount the bren so it can be used out of the observation ring, which seems a little unlikely, though not impossible, or that there was provision made for a tripod mounted bren in the rear. If no one knows, then how is the best way to find out? Ive seen the Motley mount for AA use, but Ive not come across this. :?

Thats a poser, Rick;...............I'll have to have a closer look through my parts list for MW,.............maybe's a common, ( or NOT, come to that, :whistle:) fixture, that was removed when these old girls were de-mobed.

Andy

Thanks , Ive already clocked the ebay one. The parts list comes from another fellow owner! Photocopied from the original!!

Kewelde, Ive not come across this variant before, I dont see how the cab could accomodate 3 people, was the mount, assuming it was one, front cab mounted?

Kewelde, Ive not come across this variant before, I dont see how the cab could accomodate 3 people, was the mount, assuming it was one, front cab mounted?

Rick,

From the parts book description, mentioning mud wing clamp, I assumed it to be on the front, could be wrong, as I have never seen a front mount on a C8.

The cab on a C8/AT was open, no doors or screen, the tilt over the rear body continuing over the cab like a pram hood. There was another seat to the right of the driver. Unfortunately, I have changed computors and a lot of my pics are on the other one, but I will see if I can find a photo for you.

Hi Rick,

There's a photo in Wheels and Tracks (No. 30 p28) of an AA gunner on the front mudguard of a C8/AT mkII. dated 1941. Don't know how he's staying on - but you can make out some sort of bracket/seat etc.

I have yet to come across Wheels and Tracks. Now a couple of "anorak type" questions spring to mind. The parts list is dated 1944 for the Mark 3. The variant that the photo shows is one I havent come across before, but I'll double check CMV mag. I thought the Mark 3 was the type built in 1944. So was it just the variant in the photo that was equipped with this feature? :rtfm: Also the parts list title is C8/AT, does that then denote Anti Tank?

So was it just the variant in the photo that was equipped with this feature? :rtfm: Also the parts list title is C8/AT, does that then denote Anti Tank?

Rick,

The truck in the photo is a C8/AT, anti-tank, because that was the role of the 17 pounder that it towed, as in photo.

how about a Kubel version then

:-) Its quite amazing how many captured allied vehicles, the germans altered/part re-bodied, for their own purpose's......................there is a (german) book about, British Trucks in Wehrmacht Service,..........with some brilliany pics, of such conversions.

If you have a look in Wheels and Tracks no 29 p28 through to 39, whilst they contain the history of morris, (and austin) quads, also show some post war body conversions.

All the best,

Andy

It would be different to convert a Brit truck into one that was used by other forces, I'm not sure what reaction you would get from other people though. But it was a thought that crossed my mind when starting on mine.