Scammell pioneer

ruggyjohn

Question

8 answers to this question

has anyone managed to find a company that can supply a wiring loom for a pioneer or are there any other ways this can be achieved, it needs to look as original as possible. thanks john.

John,

Have you tried Autosparks? If no one has a pattern they will be unable to supply. Have you got the old harness?

I started a thread in the electrics, lubrication section about the Pioneers wiring. I found a number of discrepancies in the wiring diagram as its shown in the manual. I have started re drawing it, and when I get to that stage will finish it complete with wire sizes. Like you I want it to look right with cotton braided wiring etc. Knowing how expensive it is, I was planning on using cotton braid everywhere except the run from the cab to the back end for which I plan on using a length of 7 core trailer cable, terminating that at a junction box on the rear cross member and using cotton braid again to go out to the rear lights.

Richard

Do not have any original loom left on my pioneer, thanks for that Richard, if you are going to make your own loom how do you plan on covering multiple strands of wire in braid and how many colours of wire do you need and will you have to buy a reel of each one no matter of how much or little of each one you need, if there is a way of reducing costs if shared let me know, thanks again john.

You can buy cotton braid wiring in a number of different colours with different colour "flecks". It can also be bought by-the-metre or by-the-roll. I had planned on making mine "to fit" and knowing the hand finished nature of British vehicles that's gotta be the way to go. I'll see what I can do to finish my revised wiring diagram and post it for comment.

Richard

Do not have any original loom left on my pioneer, thanks for that Richard, if you are going to make your own loom how do you plan on covering multiple strands of wire in braid and how many colours of wire do you need and will you have to buy a reel of each one no matter of how much or little of each one you need, if there is a way of reducing costs if shared let me know, thanks again john.

hi John,

I mentioned Autosparks, here is a link to the Rebraiding service where if you make a loom up, you can have the groups of cables braided together. You make up your own harness and tape together and indicate where cable emerge from the group.

http://www.autosparks.co.uk/index.php?content_page=39

thanks both richard's, i think a chat with auto sparks is on the agenda, if i make my own loom up out of loose wires and get auto sparks to wrap it in cotton it should be tight as opposed to a cotton tube which will need to be slightly slack to get cable's to feed down, will also ask autosparks how much for them to make a loom from scratch, you never know it might not be as much as you think, and if so could there be a demand for a small number produced. will post again when i have spoken to them, many thanks for your replies john.

spoken to autosparks, they don't have a plan for the pioneer, can only copy an existing loom, to cover a loom supplied by myself in cotton braid is £2.85 per foot which sounds like it could easily come to a £100.00 or more, have found an auto electrician who thinks he can make a loom for £350.00 ish and that includes him supplying the wire and then i could cover it in the cotton braid from vintage car parts with heat shrink to seal the ends, john.