Bedford QL Tanker Pump Motor and Funnels

Starfire

Hi All,

Our museum has a Bedford QL tanker, which has been restored from a wreck, but it is missing the pump motor, which we believe should be a 2 cylinder horizontally opposed petrol engine, and the 4 large square funnels that should be mounted under the tank.

Bedford QL.jpg

Does anyone have any details of what these parts should look like and any possible leads as to where we may be able to source them from?

Thanks,

Terry

Hi All,

Our museum has a Bedford QL tanker, which has been restored from a wreck, but it is missing the pump motor, which we believe should be a 2 cylinder horizontally opposed petrol engine,

Not sure about a flat twin engine, but early ones with Butterfield tanks had a 3hp Bradford engine, a horizontal single if I recall. Then the later QL refueller with Zwicky equipment had a Stuart Turner P5XC engine driving two fuel pumps via a worm reduction box.

Thanks Richard,

Maybe it should be the horizontal single then. Do you happen to have any documentation or pictures?

Cheers,

Terry

Only info is from odd references here and there. Another thought, some were driven off the vehicle PTO. Take a look at the transfer box and see if it has a PTO output on it. The PTO output was only fitted to vehicles requiring it, so this might prove a point.

From what I understand (the member that owns this vehicle doesn't frequent forums much, so I'm asking on his behalf), there are 4 pump variants, the two earlier ones being petrol driven and prone to catching fire and the two later being driven via the PTO. I know for sure that ours is not fitted with a PTO pump and should have a petrol engine back there. There are also 2 round hose spools fitted in the back.

As for the funnels, apparently he had 2 of them and planned to manufacture 2 copies, but they were either thrown away by accident, or stolen from the workshop area many years ago.

I'll get some photos over the weekend of what we have and hopefully someone can identify what we need.

Cheers,

Terry

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, as far as we can tell, it should be the Bradford. Here is the only picture we've been able to find of one:

mlu12.jpg

We moved the Bedford away from the wall over the weekend, to get some photos of the rear compartment:

WP_20141019_025.jpg

So, can anyone identify what engine should be in there, and does anyone know where we can get one? We also need the funnels and the hose nozzles.

Cheers,

Terry

WP_20141019_023.jpg

WP_20141019_024.jpg

WP_20141019_026.jpg

WP_20141019_033.jpg

Another interesting thing that most people won't be aware of, is that the tank is actually divided internally, with the front 2 feet or so partitioned off from the rest of it and used to transport engine oil for the planes. It is pumped in and out via the hand pump mounted on top of the tank, and you can make out the weld line from the outside of the tank.

The owner of this vehicle, and (apparently) the farmer that had been using it as a water tanker for many years were not aware of this, until an ex-serviceman visited the museum and asked if there was still any oil in the tank; inspection revealed that it was, and still is, about half full of a thick tar-like substance :D

Due to the fact that the tank was made out of mild steel, it did not fare well transporting water and rusted quite significantly. It has been cosmetically restored but will never transport fuel again.

Cheers,

Terry

There may be a company in the midlands that might be able to help: Meetens Industrial Engines. They've helped me with engines such as JAP model 3's and various lister engines. Might be worth a call. (Of course they might not be able to help)

• 11 months later...