What is the truck? Polish film from 1950

GeePig

I admit to enjoying a bit of Social Realism every now and again, and take a certain delight in finding the inconsistencies in the images of 'good us, bad West'. Here is a Polish film from 1950, 'Pierwszy Start' ('start' appears in Polish in relation to races, and I suppose the title could be translated as 'fresh start' or 'first place'), a teen movie about a lad who goes off to flight school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IroSBdYaQ40

The question is, what is their truck at 1:09:30 - 1:10:30, cunningly disguised with a couple of branches?

Actually, there are another couple of trucks, not sure what they are. though. Gaz? Later there is a jeep as well (1:30:12).

trevor

Edited by GeePig

there is a Diamond t 968 and Studebaker US6 and dodge passing the chevy on the intersection

Really? I wonder if this was all accidental, or the director's way of objecting to the dictates of the infamous 1949 Wisla filmmakers conference, which had slammed many films for their lack of revolutionary spirit - a year before this film was released.

trevor

The Chevrolet, Dodge and possibly the Diamond where trucks that the Polish forces, that fought alongside the british, used.

The majority of all the Studebaker US6, where sent to Russia on the Lend and lease program.

So the vehicles could have been left overs from the war.

I have no idea whether any Polish forces returned to Poland with their equipment? However, I have seen a lot of lease-lend equipment in old photos, including one of a Sherman tank in one of the main squares here in Lublin in July 1944.

trevor

You have to keep in mind that during WW2 there were two different Polish armies. One was Polish Forces in the West (fought alongside Western Allies since 1939) and Polish 1st and 2nd Army in the East formed in 1943/44 in USSR. This army formed Polish People's Army and had used plenty of lend-lease equipment together with Russian gear, and this was the army that together after 1945 stayed in Poland as official Polish Army. Polish Forces in the West were officially disbanded in 1947 in UK.

The Chevrolet in question originated probably as Lend-Lease gear that stayed with People's Army.

Might get some more info when I get home this evening.

Greetings

Eryk

Edited by Erolek