Hip ring / roof hatch canvas cover

Sean N

Fairly recently I read a discussion here about the canvas covers for the hip rings / roof hatches on British MVs. Of course I can't find it now to reply to, but the gist of it was that someone was after a source or dimensions for them and none seemed to be forthcoming. I thought it might help to measure the mortal remains of the one on my K9.

The main disc of the cover is 28" diameter with a 1/2" hem making it 27" diameter finished. This has a 27" pocket of canvas 2" wide (hemmed size) with 3/8" hems sewn onto the outside face across a diameter, with a 1" x 1/8" piece of steel flat bar inside for stiffening.

IMG_4682s.jpg

The rim is made of a strip of canvas about 1 1/2" wide (finished hemmed size) with a 5/8" approx. hem, into which is inserted a length of the old fashioned spring curtain wire with a hook in each end. The disc is sewn to the outside of this to leave a rim of about 1".

IMG_4680s.jpg

IMG_4681s.jpg

At the back there is a canvas flap 2" x 9" with two pieces of 1" webbing 7" long sewn to it, for pull handles to remove the cover. There is a gap in the hem of the rim at this point to allow the spring to be inserted and hooked together.

IMG_4685s.jpg

Hopefully this might help if someone wants to make replicas. The wreckage of my one is available for anyone who might wish to do so!

My experience is that despite the steel stiffener these tended to dish inwards allowing rain to pool in them and drip into the cab. I used to keep a disc of hardboard under mine to prevent this. I guess they could be made in such a way that the stiffening was improved while keeping the original appearance.