CVR(T) Samsons in private ownership

robin craig

This one just sold in the US. I have no idea if 00GM81 is a valid or correct reg#. It looked nicely complete.

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=LC14&ID=r0024&Order=price&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=Cars

It's a Belgian vehicle painted to look like a picture in a book. VRN is incorrect and it sold to a forum member.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

So we have a few people with Samsons.

How about some thoughts on the winch assembly and using it and maintaining it ?

Are there any unique querks to the Samson that none of the other CVR(T)s have ie pto issues etc?

What manuals are the most useful and what should one know that is not in the manual? I have to go shopping for manuals next week.

The ex Littlefield Samson, which so Chris correctly points out is actually a Belgian vehicle made to look like a Brit vehicle. It is now in Canada and I have been asked to help him get it fully functional, we are friends. We want to do some "living history" kind of stuff with it.

R

Edited by robin craig

From personal experience I can tell you that the winch assembly is a right bugger to work on. The gearbox ( and in fact most of the winch assembly) that sits between the cone clutch & the hydraulic pump has little or no information available. It has a little dipstick, but I can find no information on oil quantity or spec. The cone clutch can be adjusted by removing a little locking plate and rotating the locking nut as required. Don't be tempted to take of the clutch assembly & weld strips of metal onto the cone as a previous owner of my vehicle had done. The drain for this box lies under the cone clutch assembly, no where near where you would expect it. I can not for the life of me get the fast payout switch to do anything, nor can I find any information on it. That said, when the winch is working it is a good bit of kit

• 2 weeks later...
image.jpgHere you will see two pics while at the Littlefield collection and a third pic of the Samson they tried to replicate. You will notice the real one had no Floatation screen ledge or "lip" around the sides and front. As Robin mentioned this is a Belgium Samson that they cooked up. Notice the difference in the front.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 8/22/2014 at 10:53 PM, guykay said:

Hi

I have Sammy reg 00 GM 38. Everything works great fun as a death slide & quite usefull for pulling out trees.

my wife tells me he's for sale if someone makes me daft offer

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I crewed this Sammy from about 1989 - 1993 when it was with the 9/12 Lancers LAD and the 16/5 Lancers LAD at Carver Bks Wimbish Essex. Happy memories.