Whatever happened to...

Sean N

What about the, I think, Bedford RL that used to sit in the compound behind the gatehouse for the main entrance to Rowcroft Barracks in Ashford, Kent with a row of what to a young me a row of bullet holes across the front? Probably late 1970s.

A distant relative of mine is reputed to have tried to steal a small anvil from the barracks while he worked there in the 40s or 50s. It fell through the bottom of his sidecar while he was approaching the guardhouse, and so he pretended that his workmates must have put it in there for a joke.

trevor

What about the, I think, Bedford RL that used to sit in the compound behind the gatehouse for the main entrance to Rowcroft Barracks in Ashford, Kent with a row of what to a young me a row of bullet holes across the front? Probably late 1970s.

Trevor,

I can explain that one, we had a cast RL come into the Workshops and told to think up as many battlefield repairs as possible, I think holes were drilled and punched through in various places for effect, some in the fuel tank with wooden pegs to seal them. I do remember the chargehand splicing a rope to use as a fan belt. Think it was to train soldiers in ways to improvise. Your approx. date fits this.

• 1 month later...

... MGP 834L, The Douglas timber tractor on Salisbury Plain that was owned by Defence Estates / PSA?

Back in the '90s a Douglas, supposedly this one, was due to be sold at Aston Down and never appeared. Eventually this turned up for sale by tender in June 2010, so I assume someone bought it and it's out there somewhere - anyone know where?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Jack, do you recall (or did you ever come across) the two Martians that were at John Hallett's in Crewkerne, or the red and white Matador at Pattemore's yard?

The two Martians at john halletts yard were broken up for scrap. I bought a set of wheels off one and pip biddlecombe bought the other set to go on his grader scraper box. Not sure about the matador, was it parked at pattermores or the old garage opposite the petrol station in crewkerne?

...two vehicles Jack or the Dorset guys may remember - they were parked on a verge somewhere in the Cerne Abbas / Piddletrenthide area for many years. AEC Matador KPR 569G and Leyland Hippo KPR 570G:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95484[/ATTACH]

(poor photo, I know)

These two beauties were parked up for many years at middlemarsh saw mills. Lots of people tried to buy them over the years with no joy. Then one day the hippo got scrapped and the matador got sold to a timber friend of mine. He got it running then sold it on to another friend. It is now on the road in tatty timber guise but still going strong and he got married in it..( well not in it but taken to the church in it). There is a pair of FWDs parked not to far away from where this picture was taken, been there over 20 years...:(

The two Martians at john halletts yard were broken up for scrap. I bought a set of wheels off one and pip biddlecombe bought the other set to go on his grader scraper box. Not sure about the matador, was it parked at pattermores or the old garage opposite the petrol station in crewkerne?

The Matador was at Pattemore's as I said; it was behind a Mk V cab AEC the same colours. Shame about the Martians, they were both in really good condition. I was going to buy both of them, drove down there with batteries, fuel and cash but the guy that owned them at the time turned up an hour late and then demanded a £1500 non returnable deposit before he'd even let me start them, so needless to say I gave him a piece of my mind and walked away. Would have had a lot more than scrap money for them as well - his loss.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

... the M2 bridging rig that was at the Tank Museum a few years ago...

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?49245-Tank-Museum-M2-Bridging-Rig

And also the Daimler Dingo converted to a beach buggy that was in a yard off West Quay Road, Poole for a long time. Do I recall it had some American V8 in or is that my memory playing tricks? Did it survive?