Reo M35 A2

125LAA

I am also looking for a M35 at the moment, the main things that i will be checking for are:

Inside of wheels for wetness, as this could mean the axle seals are leaking or even worse brake cylinders.

Master cylinder fluid level. Please be aware these trucks have a single circuit braking system a small leek could lead to no

brakes

Tyres, for cracking and wear.

Check all other fluids, oil water, when checking oil make sure it doesn't look to thin and smell of fuel, these trucks sometimes leak fuel into the sump through the fuel density compensator.

Engine running for leaks especially around head gasket area and turbo charger.

General condition of vehicle e.g. bodywork, lights, glass, canvas an so on.

Good look with your search

Edited by flywheel

I once had to work on one which had been standing for some years but was in an excellent dry shed. You'd think no problems but fuel (all sorts of dodgy stuff gets put in these multi fuellers; so I've heard!) had gone weird in the tank and the fuel lift pump which is submerged in the bottom of the tank was a solid ball of waxy varnish which wouldn't wash off or dissolve away in fresh petrol. As the impeller is driven magnetically in these pumps it had obviously ceased to function; another had to be sourced. So something to consider if your looking at a truck which has been standing and being sold as non runner.

What is the parts situation like for those trucks "over there"? I would assume pretty good due in part to the US Army's large presence in Europe for all those years?

Matt

Parts are pretty easy to come by. As you say the US sold off lots. Reomie is a good source, they had 1,000 at one time. Also near to Arnhem so a nice historical trip out ;)

http://www.reomie.com/

• 2 weeks later...
I once had to work on one which had been standing for some years but was in an excellent dry shed. You'd think no problems but fuel (all sorts of dodgy stuff gets put in these multi fuellers; so I've heard!) had gone weird in the tank and the fuel lift pump which is submerged in the bottom of the tank was a solid ball of waxy varnish which wouldn't wash off or dissolve away in fresh petrol. As the impeller is driven magnetically in these pumps it had obviously ceased to function; another had to be sourced. So something to consider if your looking at a truck which has been standing and being sold as non runner.

Should anyone want a spare submerged fuel pump I have NOS ones for sale at £110. I also have a chassis cab I am breaking for spares, back axles are for sale.

We fitted an extension tube on our M55 from the master cylinder to the cab, with a plastic reservoir fitted just behind the drivers seat. This allows us to keep an eye on the (synthetic) brake fluid level without having to lift the inspection plate in the cab floor and remove the master cylinder filler cap.

Thanks for all your useful and interesting advice. I have been on hols so a bit slow to respond. I just had one slip through my hands but I am sure there will be anothet around the corner. I must say that it may look good on top but there could be some problems underneath . Thanks

Thanks for all your useful and interesting advice. I have been on hols so a bit slow to respond. I just had one slip through my hands but I am sure there will be anothet around the corner. I must say that it may look good on top but there could be some problems underneath . Thanks

Where are you ? I know of one for sale in Stockport.

• 9 years later...