OS1 BGC Restoration Photo of Carrier Hull Number 38?2 or ?????

Hello everyone.

Can anyone shed some information on the photos of my carrier?

I have attached 2 photos. The 1st photo is of the hull number which looks like it is 138?2 or maybe the 1 isn't a 1 and it is 38?2 or maybe the 8 is incorrect and it is 3??2.

The 2nd photo is of the engine plate which states it is engine number 8095 rebuilt Nov 18th, 1952 at RCEME workshop #204.

Thanks in advance for any information.

James

20140718_180407.jpg

20140718_180702.jpg

Hello everyone.

Can anyone shed some information on the photos of my carrier?

I have attached 2 photos. The 1st photo is of the hull number which looks like it is 138?2 or maybe the 1 isn't a 1 and it is 38?2 or maybe the 8 is incorrect and it is 3??2.

The 2nd photo is of the engine plate which states it is engine number 8095 rebuilt Nov 18th, 1952 at RCEME workshop #204.

Thanks in advance for any information.

James

Hi friend

If you are restoring a carrier you NEED Nigel Watson's book Universal Carriers volume 1,2, 3

What's NOT in them you don't need to know!!!

AND we need more pictures, it's the law I'm afraid.....you have your constitution, we got that!!!! Lol

Good luck my friend

Hi friend

If you are restoring a carrier you NEED Nigel Watson's book Universal Carriers volume 1,2, 3

What's NOT in them you don't need to know!!!

AND we need more pictures, it's the law I'm afraid.....you have your constitution, we got that!!!! Lol

Good luck my friend

Are Carrier hull numbers listed in Nigel's books?

Are Carrier hull numbers listed in Nigel's books?

Just checked mine, yes they are, and diagrams, drawings, specifications, contract and manufacturing numbers etc.

I have volume 1 only, bit pricey, check Amazon see if any used, they are about £40.00 New, but worth every penny!!!

Had a quick check on the numbers you provided.

Quick search says

Closest engine number to yours is 8087, on a Vickers Armstrong MK 11 Dragon!

Your hull number comes up as between T13678 - 14677, Universal Carrier MK1, contract number T7810 made by Sentinel Wagons, 1000 of that contract made!!

That's what those numbers show up mate!

Paul

Edited by Hoseman

Just checked mine, yes they are, and diagrams, drawings, specifications, contract and manufacturing numbers etc.

I have volume 1 only, bit pricey, check Amazon see if any used, they are about £40.00 New, but worth every penny!!!

Had a quick check on the numbers you provided.

Quick search says

Closest engine number to yours is 8087, on a Vickers Armstrong MK 11 Dragon!

Your hull number comes up as between T13678 - 14677, Universal Carrier MK1, contract number T7810 made by Sentinel Wagons, 1000 of that contract made!!

That's what those numbers show up mate!

Paul

Thank you Paul very much for your reply.

I live in Canada and RCEME workshop 204 which in 1952 rebuilt my #8095 engine from what I just found on an internet search was based in London, Ont. Canada.

Canadian carriers were built in Windsor, Canada by Ford and many of them would have made their way into your country during the war. Does Nigel's book list Canadian built carrier hull serial numbers as a separate grouping? Does it cover all carriers built across the world?

Thanks in advance

Thank you Paul very much for your reply.

I live in Canada and RCEME workshop 204 which in 1952 rebuilt my #8095 engine from what I just found on an internet search was based in London, Ont. Canada.

Canadian carriers were built in Windsor, Canada by Ford and many of them would have made their way into your country during the war. Does Nigel's book list Canadian built carrier hull serial numbers as a separate grouping? Does it cover all carriers built across the world?

Thanks in advance

Hi

Yes, book covers all nationalities, British, Commonwealth and USA made carriers. Even lists the Canadian regiments the carriers were serving with!!! All models, drawings, variants and specials. Book 1 is the most informative for what you need, including plans and equipment layout!!!

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Yes, book covers all nationalities, British, Commonwealth and USA made carriers. Even lists the Canadian regiments the carriers were serving with!!! All models, drawings, variants and specials. Book 1 is the most informative for what you need, including plans and equipment layout!!!

Cheers

Paul

Thanks again Paul for helping me. I found Nigel's books on line and I will start by ordering book 1. Book 2 is currently out of print.

I have attached the website that I found listing Nigel's books if anyone is interested in getting one.

James

Edited by OS1 BGC Restoration
removed website that I ordered N. Watson' book from

Thanks again Paul for helping me. I found Nigel's books on line and I will start by ordering book 1. Book 2 is currently out of print.

I have attached the website that I found listing Nigel's books if anyone is interested in getting one.

http://www.universalcarrierbook.co.uk/uc%20books.htm

James

OR you just ask Nigel, he's on here somewhere!!!

It's one of those reference books you will always go back to trust me!!

Cheers

Paul

Welcome aboard,

We would all love to see more pictures of your actual carrier ?

Mark......:cool2:

Hello Mark

My carrier is still sitting in the middle of a field guarded by 1,000,001 mosquitoes. I am hoping to move it to my place before this summer is out. Sadly it has sunk into the ground up to it's belly and is stuck in reverse (seized maybe?). My first attempt several weeks back to dig it out did not go as planned and I will need to get some mechanical help to move it.

Here are some additional photos of it taken a year back.

20130527_142646.jpg

20130527_142935.jpg

20130527_142743.jpg

20130527_142824.jpg

Ah yes, I remember this, and I thought I had a lot of work ahead with my resto !:wow: Hope all goes well with recovery, think your going to need to have it lifted with a crane ?

Mark........

I am hoping that I can remove the tracks after I get it dug out, jacked up and with the tracks sitting on boards. Then I will rent a local tractor to pull it out running the bogie wheels over one board after another. It would be great if the stars align and I get it to shift into neutral and then get to pull it out on it's tracks. But even then I will probably have to remove the tracks to haul it home.

You are right, it is going to take me a long time to restore it as best I can. Finding parts for it will be a major challenge.

James