cvrt driving technique

BRDM Driver

Is there a preferred method for changing down gears when approaching a junction or roundabout.

Slow down with brakes, foot off the gas, change to appropriate gear when ready to pull away, or work your way down the gearbox to decelerate?

Also when changing gear, how important is it to have your foot off the gas to allow the clutch to disengage?

Cheers!

You don't need to let the clutch disengage, it is a hot shift gearbox. You can change up without easing off. When changing down you need to let the engine slow right down before changing down, especially from 4th to 3rd. I always slow down through the gears and you hardly ever need to use the brakes if done right.

• Like 1

I agree with Chris 100%. Anticipation will be your friend. Right place right time and right gear. Rarely use the brakes.

4th to 3rd is the one when people forget what gear they are in and show it by standing the vehicle on it's nose.

Don't forget the wiggle before moving off, in neutral give each tiller a small application to prove turning is possible.

R

I agree with Chris 100%. Anticipation will be your friend. Right place right time and right gear. Rarely use the brakes.

4th to 3rd is the one when people forget what gear they are in and show it by standing the vehicle on it's nose.

Don't forget the wiggle before moving off, in neutral give each tiller a small application to prove turning is possible.

R

Ah yes the CVRT wiggle! That caught me out a few weeks ago when I had a stuck steering piston.

Never mention the CVRT wiggle to our local garage owner. A MOD driver did that on his forecourt and ripped it up! It's his favorite story regarding tanks.....

So change down rather than brakes. That's what I have been doing! That and remembering to be at walking pace before getting down to 4th.

The BRDM has a nice trick to play on you if you try and coast around a corner with the clutch down, you don't get any steering! (Clutch down, no hydraulics!). It's just lazy car driving technique on my part. You HAVE to drive around corners in gear in the BRDM.

• 8 years later...
On 7/5/2014 at 10:44 AM, robin craig said:

In 1981, 15/19H (3 Div) were Orange on the 1 Div FTX. Last weekend of Ex, we were in an OP line awaiting the inevitable Blue counterattack at early o'clock Monday morning as per, on electronic silence (radio silence on steroids). We expected it to go noisy about 0400.

Around 0200, having been watching a badger shuffling in the treeline at my 2 o'clock, I became vaguely aware of CVR(T) noises at my 11 o'clock. I couldn't see anything because the T junction in that direction was behind a hillock.

Then the CVR(T) changed from 4th to 3rd at speed and slowed VERY quickly and audibly. Obviously a battlegroup's close recce Scimitar.

Switch UK/VRC353 from standby. Press pressel to tune the antenna. Short Contact Report. "Hello 2 this is 22A contact wait out."

Give FHQ the chance to find his code board and switch 353 from standby, and myself the chance to compile a full Contact Report.

"Hello 2 this is 22A."

(Self authenticate Break Electronic Silence from the code board) "I authenticate Alpha Delta Seven One" — something like that. It's over 40 years.

(Initiate Contact Report) "Contact."

(When) "0203 hours".

(What it is) "One BMP platoon (according to the Pink, one enemy CVR(T) represents a BMP platoon)

(Where it is) "Grid 243678" (enemy locations in clear if action to be taken within 30min. Give them a coded location helps them decode the day's Mapco)

(What it is doing) "Approaching junction from northwest"

(What you are doing about it) "Am observing."

"Over"

"2 Roger out"

And I got to start an exercise phase two hours early. Cheers 22A.