Dodge WC clutch problem

arcot1751

Question

While we were in Normandy for the 70th my newly acquired WC 52 had an "incident" with its clutch. There was a ping and then the pedal went nearly to the floor before moving the actual clutch ! On removing the cover plate from the bottom of the bell housing the release bearing had come out of its seat, we managed to get it back into position but it came out several more times over the holiday but by leaving the cover plate off it was a moments job to pop it back in again. I presume there should be a clip of some sort holding it in place as on other vehicles I have owned, but it wasn't in the bell housing so I have no idea what it looks like or how it attaches. I have tried looking it up on the internet but can find no pictures of the bearing in situ or a part number for it. Does anyone out there have any idea what I need, and also where I can source one ? I presume the engine or gearbox will have to removed to fit it anyway so I will need to find someone up to the job if possible in the Lincolnshire area, any suggestions ? Thanks all :-\

7 answers to this question

her's the official picture from the Dodge manaual. There is a part marked Tramnsmissiom Main Drive pinion bearing Retaines. .

Thanks Tony, I spent today taking the floor up in the vain hope I could reattach the spring from the top but couldn't see anything ! Do you know if it is possible ANY way other than by removing either the engine or gearbox ? It seems a hell of a lot of work just to re-hook a spring. I cannot see the top of the bell housing but wondered if there was a removable inspection cover that would let me see into the clutch. I even thought about carefully cutting out a section of bulkhead to gain access and re-welding it back afterwards but decided that was too extreme :-D All I need is a way to get the retaining spring back on, any ideas ????????????

Not something I've ever had to do Tony, but thanks for the vote of confidence. :angel:

I'd be phoning someone who does this every day, like Steve Rivers at Dallas Autos. I don't believe you have to dismantle the whole damn truck just to re-hook a spring. I can imagine the amount of shafts and joints you'd have to shift just to move that gearbox back far enough.

Is there not a small hatch top centre on the bell housing to get access or is my memory going? Good luck with it

Not something I've ever had to do Tony, but thanks for the vote of confidence. :angel:

I'd be phoning someone who does this every day, like Steve Rivers at Dallas Autos. I don't believe you have to dismantle the whole damn truck just to re-hook a spring. I can imagine the amount of shafts and joints you'd have to shift just to move that gearbox back far enough.

Is there not a small hatch top centre on the bell housing to get access or is my memory going? Good luck with it

Hi Gordon, Thanks for the advice ref Dallas Auto's, I hoped there would be a hatch at the top of the bell housing but you can't see it as the bell housing is hidden by the bulkhead ! Thank you Tony for the diagrams very helpful also :-D

you need to take out the gearbox to access the spring on the top of the release bearing. it's a good idea to make up a couple of studs to replace the top two gearbox bolts to save putting excess weight on the gearbox shaft. it's quite easy to do

you need to take out the gearbox to access the spring on the top of the release bearing. it's a good idea to make up a couple of studs to replace the top two gearbox bolts to save putting excess weight on the gearbox shaft. it's quite easy to do

Thanks, I was afraid I would have to remove the gearbox :( It looks like a job for a garage then as due to a RTA a few years ago I have very limited use of my left arm and hand. Better start trying to find someone able to do it and start saving :-D