Hello Ladies!

Have been lurking for a few months on here, soaking up the fab info....

My name is Gaz, 59 yrs young and just upgraded from a Defender 110 wildcamper, which I have owned for the last 17 yrs, to a Daf T244/GS with Comms box on the back..(Big muthers aren't they? Hope the crack on my drive doesn't get any worse lol!) I bought it from a nice chap in Kent in March and have slowly been stripping out the box...it already had the necessary gear in the back for motorhome registration but it wasn't the layout I had in mind!

It is registered as a Private HGV and downrated to 7.5T, and its only done 14,000 miles so all is good with the truck AFAIK!

hmvfpic.jpg

Biggest task so far was removing the fiberglass box from the rear R/H side.(presumably for a Genny?) The certainly make them solid don't they? I could not get the chisel/grinder to all of the rivets holding the frame to the floor!

My plan for this vehicle (aka 'Plan B') is to convert it into an Overlander, self sufficient for a couple of weeks at least, and travel the Highlands, Skye,Lewis and Harris etc..also some shows too, have enjoyed the War & Peace show twice, a few years ago but have heard its got a bit 'rowdy' now...Also would love to do the Normandy trip again...

Not really interested in going any further afield as plenty to do in Blighty!

Only prob I have had with the truck is replacing the plastic fuel pipe feed from tank to sedimenter as it was leaking slightly, so I ordered the pipe and fitting from XMod, drained the tank (55ltrs, I nearly ran out of cans!) and fitted new pipe and fitting no prob, once I'd borrowed a 1/2" AF spanner from Brian next door! Started it up and it ran ok till I switched off..Then a week later, on the day before it was due to be MOT'd, it wouldn't start! It must have ran on the fuel in the pipes feeding the injectors...I have bled the system a few times now, but will it fire up!! I used easystart as recommended by the chap MOT'ing it, will run on that stuff but not drawing fuel through to run on diesel?

Any suggestions most welcome!

Am hoping to get to the Adventure Overland show in sept this year! :D

Cheers

Gaz (From Cheshire forgot to say...)

Edited by DafT 244

Stop using easy start!! The engine will become addicted to it as it strips the oil from the cylinder walls meaning you will have to use it every time. These truck have a very reliable engine once maintained. If the engine fails to start check the fuel cut-off is fully home.

If still no fuel check the lift pump as these can fail.

looks like a nice project good luck.

Hi Mash, and thanks for that advice! Never had any trouble starting the truck before I swapped the pipe and cured the leak etc...Always started on the button! Do you mean the 'pull to stop' knob on the centre console? I thought that decompressed the pressure in the head? (like a stacker truck)....

You did, of course, bleed out all the air?

Hi Chopa! Been trying for 2-3 days....even checked sedimenter pot was full....

I have just found Engine stop device in parts manual page 198 (just in case it's stuck open) and cant find any ref to what or where its connected to?

Thanks

Now I've broken it!

Re above discussion....had another go today, traced 'engine stop device cable' to here and gave it a squirt and worked the lever a bit...

20140618_142143.jpg

Then had a look in the parts manual and there is also a solenoid valve (Like my Defender)

So why is there a manual fuel cut out and an electrical one?

Fuel pump.JPG

Solenoid.JPG

Then started bleeding and pumping manual pump lever with

no joy apart from ending up with this....

20140618_160231.jpg

only tiny bubbles came out of bleed screw, no fuel....

So I thought I might have drained sedimenter bowl on previous attempts so

I undid that and it was still full, I noticed on priming that there wasn't any resistance?

And mention now that there is 50lts+ in the tank....

I then tightened up bowl and this happened....

20140618_155750.jpg

Its like a bl***y comedy sketch isn't it?

I will take the 2 pipes off the sedimenter body and just join them for now, until I get the 'Lovely thing' going again!

Gaz (smelling of 'lovely' diesel!)

20140618_142120.jpg