Can a 1989 US M923A2 by registered in the UK for Private use.

Hi Guys

I'm new to this and are currently looking at a 1989 M923A2 US truck, when I talked to DVLA/VOSA and they tell me I can not register it to use on the UK roads to take to and from shows as its newer than 1982 (per type approval), does anyone know a way I can register the vehicle to be legal on UK roads as their suggestion of I low loader prices out of my reach.

Regards

Bob

I am sure there is a process to get type approval on a one of basis

Grey imports of Japanese 4x4's have been doing it for years

Suggest a bit of internet research and maybe a word with your local DVSA (used to be VOSA) test station

• 5 months later...
Hi Guys

I'm new to this and are currently looking at a 1989 M923A2 US truck, when I talked to DVLA/VOSA and they tell me I can not register it to use on the UK roads to take to and from shows as its newer than 1982 (per type approval), does anyone know a way I can register the vehicle to be legal on UK roads as their suggestion of I low loader prices out of my reach.

Regards

Bob

Hi did you get any more info on this or did you hit a brick wall ?

i'm sure that i read that type approval was not required for vehicles over 25 years of age, and above a certain wieght

Hi lgv type aproval is a rolling 25 years so at the moment you could test and plate a 1989 lgv with out a type aprovel certificate and in a few week time will be 1990 or if you do not want to test it put suspended tow equipment on and use it as a recovery truck.

Another confusing area as DVLA/VOSA are advising that you can't register the vehicle because it is post 1982 and does not meet type approval, yet on the website it states that if the vehicle is over 25 years old it is exempt from type approval. I'm lost!!!

Edited by flywheel