Steering knuckle lube?

BRDM Driver

Any recommendations for steering knuckle lube on 4wd vehicles?

I see that many use home brew grease/oil combinations.

The BRDM manual also states oil/grease mix or a 'long fibre' grease.

I would guess Land Rover's use something similar?

It all depends on the construction of the hub on a particular vehicle. There may be reduction gears where the lubricant has to penetrate in and a semi fluid grease (as Land Rovers now use), may not be suitable. Some hubs are designed that if a seal leaks the oil is drained away from the brake drum, but if using a semi fluid grease it would not and then brakes get contaminated.

It all depends on the construction of the hub on a particular vehicle. There may be reduction gears where the lubricant has to penetrate in and a semi fluid grease (as Land Rovers now use), may not be suitable. Some hubs are designed that if a seal leaks the oil is drained away from the brake drum, but if using a semi fluid grease it would not and then brakes get contaminated.

On the BRDM, the brake drum fills up will oil!

I'm trying to trace the leak path and it appears that the Cv joint has been over filled or possibly diff oil has made its way in there. There's a filler plug about 1/4 of the way up the steering ball joint and quite a bit of oil came out of there when I removed it.

The breathers appear to all be clear so that was not the issue.

There is no seal between the cv joint and the nut holding the hub bearings on, so that's a possible leak path if there too much oil in the steering knuckle.

On the BRDM, the brake drum fills up will oil!

I'm trying to trace the leak path and it appears that the Cv joint has been over filled or possibly diff oil has made its way in there. There's a filler plug about 1/4 of the way up the steering ball joint and quite a bit of oil came out of there when I removed it.

The breathers appear to all be clear so that was not the issue.

There is no seal between the cv joint and the nut holding the hub bearings on, so that's a possible leak path if there too much oil in the steering knuckle.

Sounds like a similar problem to Daimler Dingo wheel stations. The bevel box/inner tracta (CV) housing oil filters down past the bushes in to the outer tracta housing, that ends up over full and with no breather it tends to push past the seal. When checking outer oil levels, people make the mistake of not letting the excess drain out to correct level.