Shovel stamped USED

joeferret

Can anyone help with the history on a shovel...It is 35 inches long with a D handle and on the metal part it is stamped USED..

I know they used them on the Willys Jeep in WW2...

A friend said it was his father's who was a U.S. Army Soldier in WW2...A tank driver....But I have seen pictures on the internet with the shovel mounted horizontally on the drivers side of a WW2 Willys Jeep........

Did WW2 tanks come with these types of shovels ?

Thank you all...

Joe in USA

Hi Joe,can't say I've ever thought to measure one of the shovels but as far as I am aware they were a standard item fitted to most vehicles.

But why the word stamped on it USED ? What would that stand for ?

Joe - I guessed and googled 'U.S. Engineers Dept'. and 'U.S.E.D.' which led to:

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=58974&sid=41f65ef6405a9610516adb4a8d040547

Although the evidence claimed to exist in the the 1917, 1934 and 1940 specs for shovels to be stamped USED is not replicated in that thread, this does seem to give the answer. The photos of shovels show a dot after the letters i.e. U.S.E.D.

Just possible this is a very early shovel since it is claimed USED to be marked on manufacture between 1917 and 1934 with some possible uncertainty of marking requirement after that date.

Tony

Edited by N.O.S.

You're welcome! To me it is just a shovel, but you have to give credit to the few folk out there who have researched and gained an amazing knowledge of such modest equipment! A bit like the complexities of the humble Jerrycan which most of us take for granted.

In the UK it is not uncommon to refer to a hand shovel as a 1RB - in the USA the equivalent would be a Bucyrus-Erie 1.

You're welcome! To me it is just a shovel, but you have to give credit to the few folk out there who have researched and gained an amazing knowledge of such modest equipment! A bit like the complexities of the humble Jerrycan which most of us take for granted.

In the UK it is not uncommon to refer to a hand shovel as a 1RB - in the USA the equivalent would be a Bucyrus-Erie 1.

Yes the Jerrycan is a great example.....A great hobby we all have....