Flashing direction indicator switch No.1 Mk 1

fv1609

Is anyone familiar with this please?

Flashing direction indicator switch Remax No.1 Mk 1 FV260874

I would like to try & find one but first I need to know what it looks like or what other vehicle of the 1950s might have used it. Googling & e-bay have produced nothing but it seems the company at some time was known as "Park Remax"

This turn switch was originally used on my Pig; unfortunately it is just out of view of all the detailed photographs of the time. According to the User Handbook it was mounted on top of the horn/dip switch enclosure & can be barely seen here as Item 6.

App3994.jpg

It is unlike the switch in the production Pig which is a Turn signal switch No.2 Mk 1 & has an external indicator. The Remax is more complex not only because of the built-in light but it is 3-way of course but a 3-pole switch because it has a switching relationship with the brake lights that share the function with turn indication.

In the 1950s few vehicles had turn lights, but in the period 1964-5 there were at least 140 EMERs issued for various B vehicles & trailers to be fitted with turn lights & NATO socket provision. Unfortunately the turn light fitted was a Switch, turn signal No.2 Mk 1 & has far less contacts.

I just wonder if this switch was used in any other vehicles of the time. It seems an extraordinary length to go to for an allocation of a FV design pattern for just 20 prototype vehicles. Given the FV allocation I think it is unlikely to have found its way into what are now classic cars apart from being more complex than the usual sort of turn switch.

Looks like my query has created another, even more difficult quest for yourself Clive!

I contacted Marcus Glenn and they have suggested that the correct switch lever for the No. 2 MkI is the black allow winged one I already have...... Great! Not the image I was expecting in my Inbox

I hope you have better luck my friend :(

Yes your fault Wayne, started me thinking - a dangerous thing to do.

Assuming I eventually find one, I have to dismantle the column that houses the present turn switch & horn/dip switch. Then make a much smaller sloping box for the horn/dip switch then stick this illusive flashy switch on the top.

Yes your fault Wayne, started me thinking - a dangerous thing to do.

Assuming I eventually find one, I have to dismantle the column that houses the present turn switch & horn/dip switch. Then make a much smaller sloping box for the horn/dip switch then stick this illusive flashy switch on the top.

Hehe... ;)

That sounds like a simple exercise for a man of your Calibre :cool2:.

I will watch this thread with interest....

I could be wrong, and I frequently am, but it sounds like you are describing the indicator switch on my Saracen. I don't have any good photos of it (I'll take some on the weekend if you like), but you can see it towards the end of this video, to the right of the starter panel:

[video=youtube_share;6iDgVGSpZCE]

Cheers,

Terry

you can see it towards the end of this video, to the right of the starter panel:

Terry thanks for that yes that does look like what I was expecting to see. It is 100% authentic for your vehicle but does have a very civilian look as it is a standard Lucas fitting rather than a FV pattern thing. Curiously I do have one of those it was an item fitted to my FV1601 & I have seen on other GS Humbers although the general EMER relating to fitting turnlights specifically excluded Humbers. Although I think the EMER should have meant Humbers (Armoured).

The switch I'm after is FV260874 & I did get excited that in the 1977 Saracen ISPL there is an entry FV260873 clearly the right era but that is for a light not the number for the switch.

Looking in the Technical Description EMER there is no mention of turnlights at all, that came later in EMER WV V 617 Mod Instr No.76 1968. It describes fitting the turnlight just as you have.

It so odd that this FV switch so far seems not to have been used in anything else, yet the Saracen when it gets turnlights has a commercial Lucas switch. I suppose the difference is that my Humber was a bit ahead of its time in that the User Handbook of 1956 describes its action.

As an interim measure I couldn't use the Lucas switch because it is 3-way 1-pole whereas the Remax FV Spec is 3-way 3-pole. But thanks for the suggestion Terry.

Just playing devils advocate here.

If nobody knows what it looks like and it his been superseded :-

How will you KNOW its right

why was it replaced

who will care?

:rofl: Oh you are awful, ok then I'll rise to the bait.

I will know it is correct if it has a VAOS label or FV260874 on it or even it is marked Remax & it is 3-way 3-pole switching with a light on it.

It was replaced circa 1971-2 to conform to standard lighting arrangements of the FV1611 Pigs but my vehicle is a FV1609 & I'm trying to depict 1969.

ME! There are another 57 differences between mine & the standard FV1611. There are a few connoisseurs out there who can spot some differences & indeed there are occasionally members of the public who twig there is something a bit strange about it. But by & large most people aren't really interested & see it as being no different to any other Pig.

So this venture is just for my personal satisfaction. Nobody will see that this winter I have cleaned & painted the transfer box the correct colour in BSC Lemon zinc phosphate primer specially mixed for me, needle gunned the rear chassis & put in new screened cables that are out of sight. I have been wrestling whether to fit some countersunk screws I have that are BSF when I should be using UNF. They will be out of site, but I've not decided about that yet :undecided:

It is indeed but that is much of the fun in this hobby for me

Here here.... I agree with this comment....

I find some of this stuff frustrating and a challenge regarding correct and authentic. However when you do stumble on that elusive item it is very satisfying indeed.

I really must get out more ......... :beatenup: