Motley gun mount

Rick W

I had thought about something like that for my wagon.

Did find the below pic of someones vehicle, possibly a C8/F8.

src="http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n46/longbow2001uk/c8_04.jpg"

The thing could be fabricated but the seat would be a pain.

You're a star Larry thanks for the links to the pics! I found the one with the overhead mount attached to what looks like a telegraph pole amusing! Looks like I will have to hunt down a bren or 2 for the back of my toy! If you know of anyone or anywhere I can get scaled plans for the mount please let me know. I can see a trip to Duxford coming on to see if I can take some measurements from there mount. :tup:

Rick,

The second photo of my link shows the back of a Bedford MW that is still around today and was up for sale a few years ago. Someone must know who owns it so you could go along and see the Motley mount for real.

Also I seem to remember photos of this vehicle were in the MVT windscreen mag a few years back too.

Ok, question on the gun types used in this mount, from the photos they look more or less the same gun, a bren, correct me if Im wrong. Did the 100 round drum magazines come into service during or after WW2? Were the gun types interchangeable, or was it made purely for the bren?

Ok, question on the gun types used in this mount, from the photos they look more or less the same gun, a bren, correct me if Im wrong. Did the 100 round drum magazines come into service during or after WW2? Were the gun types interchangeable, or was it made purely for the bren?

The 100 drum was introduced for this kind of purpose (AA) if I remember correctly.

I've got the memoires of a 43rd Reece who tried to fire a Bren with 100 drum from a recce car in Normandy.

It misfired. probably because the spring was bad after being loaded for too long.