Dodge D60 Tipper

The D60 shares a cab with the D15 and D8A, but none of them are that common. If you have all the right hand drive specific bits from the original cab, it would be reasonably straightforward to adapt any left hand drive hard cab from a 1941-47 civilian or military Dodge. ( NOT 39 - 40, different ) Those are much more available but still not common. Not that difficult to get 1.5 ton front fenders, but the D60 ones were cut back oversize to clear bigger wheels.

Vintage Power Wagons in the US can do you lots of small stuff like windscreen seals and door parts. The 236 cu in engine is specifically Canadian, so anything with a length, like head, block, cam, crank, manifolds would just have to get robbed from another 25" long engine. Things like oil pump, distributor, etc, may have some interchange with the US military and civilian trucks.

Very little to be had in the US or Canada. Most of these trucks that survive are in the UK, Europe, Australia or NZ now, and other former Empire / Commonwealth places like Malta.

Welcome Tom, Gordon has just about covered all the main points that you need to know for starters. I would just add it would be worth you joining the Maple Leaf Up CMP forum most CMP collectors around the globe can be found on this site.

regards

Pete

Wow I didn't expect so many responses so quickly or with quite so much information, Thanks :D

In truth I don't have the truck yet, but I have the chance of it, I figured I was better off at least seeing how easy it would be to do it (or at least that it was possible) but this is very encouraging. Mechanically it's complete, though will need more than a small amount of work, the real issue is the body work and that is my major concern.

Tom

Well, a buying guide would look like this.

You'd need a solid complete chassis and a complete drivetrain, plus the core engine - accessories no big deal.

Also the specific right hand drive bits of the cab, and preferably all the metal bits of the back body.

If you have that lot the rest is do - able. I remember there was a D60 in a tumbled down shed somewhere in England, M62-ish, but the cab was in a right state.